This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE9 Korean Dips

Started by Dustyevsky Silvester, May 13, 2017 · 2 Replies · 125 Views

Dustyevsky Silvester

Bit of a steep learning curve with this one.

I've included a few clips where 1) I flailed completely (because it's funny); 2) squeaked one out (after a dozen attempts raking my back over the knurling on the bar and/or getting my upper glutes stuck) although depth appears too shallow; and 3) checked the forum here for some tips and after a week of playing around attempted to implement more full-body tension and use of momentum out of the bottom. You'll note I've inserted a foam roller over the bar to reduce rakage - I think it's legit as it's not reducing the work my arms need to do or the range of motion my shoulders go through. Or maybe it's cheating? 

Also included a couple pics of the iM for review. I recognize that weight isn't prescribed here but I've taken to holding a 2kg plate in my raised hand because I feel I can get deeper and hold the stretch more steady. Hope that's not counterproductive...

Thoughts?

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Dustyevsky,

Your PE form on the last clip is definitely the best one! For mastery, I'd like to see you do these without the foam roller, but for now, I think it is a clever way to learn to stay away from the bar. Very cool. 

Just keep working to keep your knees from bending excessively and make sure you descend all the way to the base of your shoulder blades. You are very close to mastery form with the foam roller, so, when you feel ready, remove it and keep distance from the bar on your own. 

The iM is looking really good. Just be sure to keep the intensity at no more than a 5 out of 10. Reduce the weight if necessary. 

Keep up the great work. 

Dustyevsky Silvester

I've abandoned the foam roller and the transition to a bare bar went better than anticipated. I'm glad I took that approach though. Any additional comments?