This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Prone band pulls

Started by Leigh Kettle, May 11, 2017 · 9 Replies · 156 Views

Leigh Kettle

This exercise is a non starter for me . I just can't seem to grasp the cues that coach or Wes gives during the movements . With such poor spinal articulation and shoulder flexion  I just not sure how to progress with this 

I've just posted my supine version and have stated there that I know these bands aren't ideal but I've finally sourced some bunjee type ones which I'm hoping will help pull me up into arch 

any further feedback very greatly appreciate 

leigh 

https://youtu.be/fmyOOBTFBkA

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Leight my personal suggestion it is to open the arms 45° to the side, also consider to add this variation to all the cat variation.

Suzanna McGee
2 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

With such poor spinal articulation and shoulder flexion  I just not sure how to progress with this 

Actually, my spine was much worse than yours when I started. It just doesn't want to move backwards. Lumbar, nor thoracic… Never has wanted in all my life…. I was lifting so little off the ground, it was almost laughable… I could do almost 3–4 reps while the video did one. It was REALLY bad  :-)  Now, 39 weeks later, it started to bend a little bit. Maybe we just have to be patient, do the work, and hope for a beautifully flexible spine one day in the future   :-) 

Leigh Kettle

That's great to hear Suzanna that you are progressing. 

Alex mentioned in another post of mine  just now if I'd ever checked with  A pt if if I have limitations set by my spine or muscle  as this may be the case . :-( as I said on that post I assumed this series would help with the majority of us who have stone like spines and not that there is no hope for me. The ways it's going with all my issues Someone up there may be telling me to call it a day if I'm stuck with what I have :/( it's just one thing after another . I didn't think I was as bad as some and that with some help id get things moving mobility wise . Bit demoralised right now actually  :-(

Deb Ludington

Hi Leigh, please don't get discouraged. You are one of my inspirations for the program. I have many of the same struggles as you. And these band pulls are so difficult and so exhausting. I don't have any more spinal articulation than you do. I do see tiny, tiny improvements from week to week by sticking with the program,  so try to look for the little bits and soon we will hopefully have beautiful and comfortable band pulls, both supine and prone. You can do it!

Suzanna McGee

@Leigh Kettle, I didn't mean to write my post to discourage you because your progress is slow. Rather the opposite…. I wanted to encourage you to keep your head up and keep going.  I was so so so stiff that I thought I would never be able to lift off the ground in those band pulls. But somehow, millimeter by millimeter (not even inch by inch), it is improving. Yours WILL too. I have seen all your other posts, and you have done some amazing progress. Just stay on it, and even this one will soon show great results, like all your other posts…  BTW, I was really so bad, that I never even posted any form check, because I think I would be banned from the forums for the disgrace of the prone band pulls, ha ha ha.  :facepalm:

Leigh Kettle
4 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

@Leigh Kettle, I didn't mean to write my post to discourage you because your progress is slow. Rather the opposite…. I wanted to encourage you to keep your head up and keep going.  I was so so so stiff that I thought I would never be able to lift off the ground in those band pulls. But somehow, millimeter by millimeter (not even inch by inch), it is improving. Yours WILL too. I have seen all your other posts, and you have done some amazing progress. Just stay on it, and even this one will soon show great results, like all your other posts…  BTW, I was really so bad, that I never even posted any form check, because I think I would be banned from the forums for the disgrace of the prone band pulls, ha ha ha.  :facepalm:

Ah Suzanna I certainly didn't mean you had discouraged me . It was more the other post when Alex  had said I shouldn't continue parts of the tb series and had I seen a pt to see if I had limitation in my spine or muscles . Just made me question whether I could ever achieve enough movement to be able to do the whole series . Almost felt like a "there's nothing we can do to help " But I'm sure he didn't mean it like that . 

Seeing that you have progressed is very inspiring and encouraging to me and I always love to hear that . I certainly feel I could progress with this given the right methods to do so

ive been the same with my form checks . It can be very demoralising to have almost every post told you not good enough lol but I know that's the beauty of this programme so we must keep posting to progress 

good luck with all your work Suzanna and thanks so much for your words 

Leigh Kettle
7 hours ago, Deb Ludington said:

Hi Leigh, please don't get discouraged. You are one of my inspirations for the program. I have many of the same struggles as you. And these band pulls are so difficult and so exhausting. I don't have any more spinal articulation than you do. I do see tiny, tiny improvements from week to week by sticking with the program,  so try to look for the little bits and soon we will hopefully have beautiful and comfortable band pulls, both supine and prone. You can do it!

Hey deb  

ah thanks so much for your kind words . I will always keep at it and keep grinding away even if the progress is minimal as long as it looks like there is hope . 

So pleased to hear you are seeing improvements yourself . I do trust the programme as it's helping me in so many ways . It was just to be told that i may have a limitation that may be structural  was kind of a blow to the stomach . I always thought it could be corrected which is why I'm here . Fingers crossed

best wishes 

Leigh 

John Kiggundu
On May 11, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Leigh Kettle said:

That's great to hear Suzanna that you are progressing. 

Alex mentioned in another post of mine  just now if I'd ever checked with  A pt if if I have limitations set by my spine or muscle  as this may be the case . :-( as I said on that post I assumed this series would help with the majority of us who have stone like spines and not that there is no hope for me. The ways it's going with all my issues Someone up there may be telling me to call it a day if I'm stuck with what I have :/( it's just one thing after another . I didn't think I was as bad as some and that with some help id get things moving mobility wise . Bit demoralised right now actually  :-(

@Leigh Kettle let me join the chorus and add that with your consistent approach to training, it's only a matter of months not years that you'll start noticing a few breakthroughs. It won't hurt trying to do a few inverted and elevated cats during your cool downs once or twice a week. The spine is tightly wound with connective tissue (for good reason) so this relatively "slow" adaptation is to be expected.

Leigh Kettle
On 14/05/2017 at 3:16 AM, John Kiggundu said:

@Leigh Kettle let me join the chorus and add that with your consistent approach to training, it's only a matter of months not years that you'll start noticing a few breakthroughs. It won't hurt trying to do a few inverted and elevated cats during your cool downs once or twice a week. The spine is tightly wound with connective tissue (for good reason) so this relatively "slow" adaptation is to be expected.

Thanks John 

yes im certainly trying to be as consistent as I can with it

the whole gb programme i trust 100 percent so will keep grinding away . 

Thanks again john

leigh