This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Chronic APT When Performing Butterfly

Started by Steven Pitsos, May 11, 2017 · 4 Replies · 106 Views

Steven Pitsos

I'm actively doing the stretch series and F1 right now. I guess I've been at it about a month. At what point will my chronic APT go away? It seems to be most prevalent during a butterfly. I can't come anywhere close to laying forward with a flat back. Its a hunch at best. I can put a gymnastic block under my butt to fix the issue but I'd love to do it without the block. I'm going to continue doing both series, but my question is what is preventing me from getting my pelvis in PPT when performing the butterfly and other similar movements? Should I focus on one stretch or movement over the others?

If my problem description isn't vivid I can attach a photo if necessary. I assume that a lot of new athletes to GST have this issue. 

Thanks

Pauline Taube

Hi Steven,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the GymnasticBodies community!

Please submit a photo or video of this exercise so we can better assist you :)

Looking forward to help!

Ferdinand Berr

Maybe I'm completely wrong now, but isn't APT the goal during stretches like the butterfly? My general posture has way too much APT, too (the classic Donald Duck), but during butterfly, pancake, pike etc I really struggle having an APT when moving my torso forward. As far as I understood we want to have a straight back during those stretches and that can be achieved by trying to reach APT, or am I wrong about that?

Pauline Taube

You're absolutely right, Ferdinand. I think Steven got the terms mixed up as he also have difficulties keeping the back flat :) 

Paul Wallbridge

I have this too and have resorted to sitting on two blocks (actually thick books) to enable me to keep APT. Expecting a year of work to see me on the floor...