This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand 1 - How to correct my bent back?

Started by Mark Steel, May 9, 2017 · 8 Replies · 272 Views

Mark Steel

Hi all

I'm new to GST and have started Foundation 1 around 2 months back, and more recently all the stretch series and Handstand 1 which I'm very excited about : )

When doing the early Handstand 1 exercise the tripod I seem to have this dramatic bend in back that I don't realise at all when I'm in the position, and I don't see to be able to consciously straighten this bend. I've attached some photos to illustrate.  I don't generally have any clear kyphosis or other posture issues.

Can anyone advise what exercises and/or mobility I could use to try and correct this?

Thanks v much in advance for any guidance

Mark

FullSizeRender-3.jpg.aa4bceb62a19a26afe744a0c138c70bb.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg.f5fd9f4a187b6b47955a8f116d0c4c62.jpg 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Mark I think this is your current spine form. If you want to know something more I think you should check a physio or have a X-ray.

Mark Steel

Thanks Coach Mainente.

I had my annual medical a couple of months back where the doctor had suggested my posture was ok (For a desk worker I guess), I've posted a picture of me standing normally below.

The bend only pronounces like this when I put the body weight on my neck in inversion.

For the last couple of years I've only really benn doing deadlifts and pull ups and no other back targeting exercises, and wondered maybe this could be indicative of weakness in areas of the back muscles this may have neglected?

If you think this can only be addressed medically to progress then I guess I'll go back to my Doctor.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated 

IMG_1488.thumb.JPG.f4c4c9aee74dc5f0e19b579b07a4df7d.JPG

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Mark, the problem it is probably the desk work. Have you ever ridden this post and mine suggestion? 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Do not worry about the rounding of your back while holding tripod. Where you place your knees, on your upper arms, has an effect on how much your back rounds.

To make certain your spine is as straight as it supposed to be... go see a chiropractor. Their job is to make sure your spine is as straight as it is supposed to be and make sure your joints are in proper location. Some people have excessive spinal curvature and not even know it.

Mark Steel

Thanks very much for the advice and support:)

Jeffrey Mailly

Were you ever able to fix this? I have the same issue. I've been hitting my TB stretches pretty hard and doing some extras throughout the week. But in 3 weeks I have not made any improvement with this same issue.

Mark Steel

Hi Jeffrey

I don't have any pictures to show but yes I've been able to improve it, and can now get my legs up straight now which has been great! I continued with the front stretch series and also started to integrate a few posture correction exercises/stretches from the YouTube link below, maybe worth a try

 

Jeffrey Mailly

Awesome! Thanks. I'm going to try these today.