This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Frequency of Jefferson Curls

Started by Chris Toynbee, May 8, 2017 · 4 Replies · 224 Views

Chris Toynbee

I've been doing Jefferson curls for 3 - 6 months now and I've not noticed any improvement in terms of how far the bar can go below my toes.

I've been doing once a week and I was wondering if there was any harm in increasing the frequency to 2 or 3 times a week?

Admittedly I dropped the weight recently because I had to have a month off from doing them. I'm current using about 35 lbs but I was probably close to 50lb before my break. I would probably be happy to start building the weight back up too and I would be keen on advice on the frequency increasing the weight.

Finally I would be interested to know if it's ok to keep doing them after I've finished MN PE2>iM - I'm not sure what the next iM is for MN.

Pauline Taube

Hi Chris,

Could you please submit a form check of your Jefferson curls? This way we can give you more specific feedback and make sure you progress in a safe way.

You can increase the frequency of Jefferson curls. I recommend to keep doing the 5reps once a week. Then you can add another day or two where you do 10reps with half the weight. 

I recommend to keep doing Jefferson curls even after progressing through MN PE2. You can include these in your warmup or cooldown. Remember to be patient and gradually increase the load :) 

Pauline Taube

Thanks for the video, Chris!

You're doing a pretty good job on these. I would like you to slow the movement down a little but while working and focusing on articulation of the spine. Remember to curl one vertebrae at a time both on the way down and on the way up. You are doing a pretty good job on the descend, try to articulate a bit more on the way up. Also let your upper body relax completely in the bottom position, pause a few seconds here before reversing the movement. 

I am looking forward to see your progress on these, please keep us posted :) 

Chris Toynbee

Thanks @Pauline Taube Will follow that advice and repost a form check.