Hi, I was hoping you could let me know if I'm doing anything wrong in my piriformis. The reason I ask is that in the video, Grace, who is quite a bit more flexible than I am in most respects, has her knee elevated. The guy in the technique video (I don't know his name) also has his knee elevated. I don't feel the need to elevate the knee, but I might be missing something. Let me know if another angle would be better. Thanks in advance.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Piriformis form check
Started by Francisco Garcia, May 8, 2017 · 4 Replies · 172 Views
Hi Francisco,
Thank you for submitting a video.
You do have great mobility. To make this stretch more intense try to sit more upright rather than bending forward. It's a little bit hard to see from the video, but also make sure that your hips are square. When you have your right leg in front, squize your left flute and press this hip flexor towards the ground.
Try to focus on this and see if you can still get your knee to the ground or if you feel a better stretch in your glutes. Let us know how you go
I have a related question. Should the foot of the bent leg be at the body's midline, or should it be over on the opposite side of the body (so the thigh of the bent leg is straight out in front)?
Hi Paul,
Good question. The foot of the bent leg should be in front of the opposite hip. However, you can increase the intensity of the Stretch by sliding the front foot outward until it is directly in line of your midsection.
Feel free to submit a form check
Remember to keep the quads and the anterior part of the posterior leg exactly on the floor, the most common compensation it is the twist of the hips.