This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS PEs - APT?

Started by Ferdinand Berr, May 7, 2017 · 9 Replies · 191 Views

Ferdinand Berr

Hi!

I've just a quick question concerning the early SLS progressions. I'm on PE3 now and so far there hasn't really been an emphasis on our back position in the technique tip videos. Should we try to have APT during the squats or doesn't that matter too much? So far I tried to keep my back as straight as possible (and I think APT is the natural result in the squat position), but it wasn't my main focus.

I'm asking because my physiotherapist did squats with me not too long ago and she was all about having strong tension (as in APT) in the lower back, which felt kind of awkward and also a little uncomfortable to me. I just want to make sure that I'm focussing on the right things! 

 

Thanks;)

Pauline Taube

Hi Ferdinand,

Good question. In these progressions you want to keep your back in a neutral position so that you are still engaging your core. Sounds like you're doing it right, keep working on keeping your back straight :) 

Ferdinand Berr
1 hour ago, Pauline Taube said:

Hi Ferdinand,

Good question. In these progressions you want to keep your back in a neutral position so that you are still engaging your core. Sounds like you're doing it right, keep working on keeping your back straight :) 

Thank you!

This increases my mistrust in physiotherapists=D It really felt awkward in that it put strain on my lower back, and when doing the same thing with weight on your back, this would probably not be the safest thing to do, right?

By the way, how important/reasonable is the common "keep your knees over your toes"-rule? Does this just apply for weighted squats when people lack the proper joint/tissue etc preparation? If I remember correctly, coach was saying something like in most sports you're automatically required to have your knee in different positions (not perfectly over toes) during movement, so that this rule doesn't make too much sense. That  sounds reasonable to me.

Everett Carroll

For your squat work, knees over toes is a good practice. On the field of play, different rules apply. The SLS mobility work is enough to prepare your tissues to handle "abnormal" ranges. During your strength training, track your knees. 

Suzanna McGee
10 hours ago, Ferdinand Berr said:

, how important/reasonable is the common "keep your knees over your toes"-rule?

I think this advice is often given to encourage us to use/fire the glutes instead of the quads. Next time you squat, play with different positions and feel how much your glutes or quads want to participate. It's a good awareness exercise.

Bas Albinus
On 5/8/2017 at 0:25 AM, Ferdinand Berr said:

This increases my mistrust in physiotherapists=D It really felt awkward in that it put strain on my lower back, and when doing the same thing with weight on your back, this would probably not be the safest thing to do, right?

Always ask your physio therapist why what where how etc! If you have doubts they should be able to elaborate so you understand their point. Maybe the therapist was trying to "force" you into an apt position during this exercise for a specific reason while he/she didn't make you add weight to it though, right?! I've been doing physio for the past 4months on a daily basis and I've had a lot of eye opening moments, but I also really want to know why am I doing this exercise, how to do it, what to focus on, what to avoid etc.
There's a lot of carry over to GB (and vice versa).  

Ferdinand Berr

That's a good point you're making and actually I'm constantly questioning this stuff, too! If someone can give me arguments and reasoning, I'm much more likely to listen and do as I'm told to:p

I've been to physio because of multiple minor injuries, especially because of biceps tendinopathy (climbing overload injury) and shin splints (basketball/running overload injury). One day my therapist asked if I want to do some stuff in the training room and as I've never really done serious lifting in the past I wanted to use the possibility for getting some "coaching" concerning squat, deadlift and bench press, which I might add to my training in the future to some extent. So that was the purpose of her showing me the correct form of those basic lifts. I did the exercise with a dowel (no weight added), but the purpose was to show the correct form for weighted squats. Her main point was to keep maximum tension in my upper body (which apparently meant APT), which I always lost at about parallel squat height. 

The same bullet points were given to me concerning deadlifts. Having strong APT during weighted deadlifts sounds wrong to me, it definitely felt wrong. Obviously the core and back muscles should be strongly engaged, but wouldn't APT put extreme strain on the lower back? 

 

Pauline Taube

I agree with Bas, always ask your physio why. Sometimes the answer is not right or wrong, but it depends. It always helps with an explanation. 

For deadlift however I would not recommend to do these with APT. This will put your low back at extremely high risk. I've been playing with an APT for stiff legged deadlifts in order to stretch the hamstring. But then I keep the weights much lighter. Usually when performing deadlift I would engage the core strongly and keep the pelvis in a neutral position.

Bas Albinus
On 5/9/2017 at 1:59 AM, Ferdinand Berr said:

The same bullet points were given to me concerning deadlifts. Having strong APT during weighted deadlifts sounds wrong to me, it definitely felt wrong. Obviously the core and back muscles should be strongly engaged, but wouldn't APT put extreme strain on the lower back?

check this guys youtube channel: 

great input regarding deadlifts and lifting in general. However GST is a different approach and from my pov will be more beneficial in many ways. That being said, form is always crucial esp. when adding weight.

Alessandro Mainente

IN fact, in the deadlift, we want straight back not over arched back. during all these lifts exactly as the SLS progression, there are other details which are by far more important.