This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How Often to Stretch

Started by Bryan Au-Young, May 6, 2017 · 11 Replies · 474 Views

Bryan Au-Young

In the video, Coach Sommer says to perform each stretch series (TB, FS, MS) once per week. Otherwise, you'll only make half the progress because you're too sore. Can you add any additional insight here? I'm the type of person that likes to understand how things work. Maybe some additional information on the time it takes for tendons to adapt would be helpful.

Another thing that is confusing is that the recommended default workout schedule by Coach Sommer recommends doing the stretch series twice per week. If I'm a 31-year-old male who stretched multiple times per week before starting the GB series, is it safe/beneficial to do the individual stretch series up to twice per week (in other words, with at least 72 hours of rest in between the same stretch series)?

Everett Carroll

Hi Bryan,

Part of why Coach Sommer recommends each series be performed once per week is because stretching is meant to aid recovery and support your training. You don't want to be so sore that the other aspects of your training like Foundations and skill work suffer.

Also, because of all the extra mobility work included in the other parts of the curriculum, stretching one area or series more frequently will not give your connective tissue and nervous system the time they need to recover. Connective tissue needs the extra time, too; on average, your connective tissue needs about 210 days to recycle while your muscles need only about 90. 

Matthew Sullivan 212502

Hi, Everett

building of Bryan's question....is the once-a-week for Front split and Middle split a hard and fast rule?  I don't feel particularly sore after those stretch series workouts.  I think that I need LOTS of hip work.  

Matt

Alessandro Mainente

The suggestion of once a week it is for 2 reasons:

1-the fact that you do not feel sore does not mean that your inner connective tissue it is healed. for example after a strong strength workout rarely you will feel tired next day, but this does not consist a sufficient condition to repeat the training session

2-nervous system it is highly stressed, let him the time to adapt.

some daily stretches can be implemented, but only where you are extremely tight. one pose or 2 for each stretch courses, not more.

 

Matthew Sullivan 212502

Understood. Thanks, guys. 

Luke Searra

Please keep us updated with your progress Matthew

Anthony Del Balso

I have a related question though from the opposite perspective. I struggle to maintain consistency in completing my GST workouts and stretches weekly. Last week I got in one of the three stretch series. Because of the low frequency, my progress is limited.

My plan is to fit in front and middle stretch weekly, but when I don't, should I just keep alternating? Or always do the first stretch of the week with the same regimen, so I at least make progress in one of them?

Another way to ask this question is to take it to a higher level. What would be better, doing each stretch series once every three weeks? Or doing just one every week until progress is made, then switching to the next?

Everett Carroll

Hey Anthony,

Alternate for sure. Ideally, you'd be able to fit all three in each week but of course life doesn't always allow that. Just cycle through them, ensuring exposure to each of a couple or few weeks at least.

Anthony Del Balso

Thanks Everett

Stephen Halvorson

At risk of beating a likely very dead horse, I keep seeing this number of 210 days variably quoted as the time it takes for connective tissue to heal, to be replaced, repair, change.  What is the evidence that supports this?  Tissue studies?  Clinical studies?  May I get a literature citation or some other primary source? 

Thanks.  I appreciate the opportunity to ask the question. 

seh

John Kiggundu
On July 20, 2017 at 2:52 AM, Stephen Halvorson said:

At risk of beating a likely very dead horse, I keep seeing this number of 210 days variably quoted as the time it takes for connective tissue to heal, to be replaced, repair, change.  What is the evidence that supports this?  Tissue studies?  Clinical studies?  May I get a literature citation or some other primary source? 

Thanks.  I appreciate the opportunity to ask the question. 

seh

@Stephen Halvorson let me try to chime in here. You may or may not have listened to Coach's podcasts. If you have not done so, take the time to listen to all of them. He explains it clearly in one of those podcasts (I believe it was either the 1st one or the 2nd one) that practitioners in this field tend to be miles ahead of the science, and it's the science that's always playing catch up to the practitioners.

In other words, whether or not there is science to back it up (which I'm dead certain that there is science to back it up) most of the researchers tend to be way behind the practitioners like coaches who have to prepare athletes for some of the most grueling exercises and have to learn from observing how long it takes injuries to heal, etc.

Ryan Segervall

from my experience if your looking for extra mobility you cant go wrong with doing some active controlled articulations (CARS) on a daily basis. Ive only seen these aid my training and help develop good motor control of individual joints/ bridge the gap between passive and active flexibility. I usually throw these in a lunch break or whenever I can. Sometimes im more consistent than others as they are "extra" ontop of everything else I already do but I try to warm up each morning with some articulations of every joint in the body. 

 

this is a good example of what im talking about. If you need more information go check out FRC and andreao spina the founder of functional range conditioning and functional anatomy seminars. This stuff pairs very nicely to everything here at GB

 

this is my 2 cents on what "extra" mobility work you an add in if you have the time/want to without interfering with the recovery process from your stretch and Foundations work