Hi,, I have trouble feeling the piroformis stretch in the side of the glute(piroformis). I feel the hipflexor limit me alot, tryed to scale it by doing the stretch Standing against a table but it didnt help very much. Any ideas? Thank you.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Piroformis stretch hipflexor issue
Started by Jonas Berglund, May 6, 2017 · 13 Replies · 282 Views
Hi Jonas,
In this stretch you want to focus on keeping your hips square and use your glute to press your knee to the ground. You might want to keep your hands on blocks for support.
Could you please submit a form check so that we can better assist you?
Jonas, some ideas for you:
- you may want to try doing the piriformis stretch more than the prescribed once per week, e.g. in your warmups or cooldown
- I like doing this a bit PNF-style, where you alternate between actively resisting the stretch and then releasing that tension and trying to drop deeper; I do this during the hold in the MSp series as well
- for doing it more regularly, I've had good success with a stretch where you slowly and actively lower into the stretch position from a lunge, come back out (one to a few seconds for this movement) for e.g. 10 reps and then hold for 10-20 sec at the bottom. You can do sets of this, e.g. three of them
Double post, delete please.
Thank you for the advice Kai, My problem when doing the 90 sec stretch is I dont find the sweetspot between to much and to Little... for instance, if i pull (lightly) My working leg(glute) wide i feel more like irritation/sore in the hip socket. And if i relax completely i obv do not feel the stretch at all.
I Will give your advice a go!
Hi Jonas,
Nice pointers from Kai.
If you feel the Stretch mostly in your hip flexor of the opposite leg I'd suggest to stretch your hip flexors and quads before doing this stretch. Great idea to add this in your warmup/cooldown along with FSSSE20-21.
For the swivel hips I'd also recommend to do some daily work. You can change these up by doing reps and also holds in the bottom position as Wesley is demonstrating in the technical tip instructions
7 hours ago, Pauline Taube said:Hi Jonas,
Nice pointers from Kai.
If you feel the Stretch mostly in your hip flexor of the opposite leg I'd suggest to stretch your hip flexors and quads before doing this stretch. Great idea to add this in your warmup/cooldown along with FSSSE20-21.
For the swivel hips I'd also recommend to do some daily work. You can change these up by doing reps and also holds in the bottom position as Wesley is demonstrating in the technical tip instructions
![]()
Pauline,, I Actually feel the stretch more in My working (Bent) leg hipflexor. Its more like irritation or soreness who stops me from feeling the sensation of the stretch in the piroformis.. Will follow Kais advice for a couple of weeks and see how that goes.
On 2017-05-12 at 3:20 AM, Pauline Taube said:Hi Jonas,
Nice pointers from Kai.
If you feel the Stretch mostly in your hip flexor of the opposite leg I'd suggest to stretch your hip flexors and quads before doing this stretch. Great idea to add this in your warmup/cooldown along with FSSSE20-21.
For the swivel hips I'd also recommend to do some daily work. You can change these up by doing reps and also holds in the bottom position as Wesley is demonstrating in the technical tip instructio
THanks for all the advice,, one follow up question: The passive stretch variation Wesley shows in the hip swirvel technique video. Could I use that one as a daily limbering instead of the piroformis stretch? Whats separating them?
The variation Wesley demostrates is much easier for me to spend time in without losing tension. And as far as ive understand this stretch also hits piroformis.
Hi Jonas,
Good question. The swiwel hips will improve your internal rotation while the piriformis stretch works on your external rotation. I'd recommend to continue to do both
How is it going with the piriformis Stretch? What are you currently doing for your daily limbering?
Simply stretch the hips flexor first and then begin the piriformis one.
9 hours ago, Pauline Taube said:Hi Jonas,
Good question. The swiwel hips will improve your internal rotation while the piriformis stretch works on your external rotation. I'd recommend to continue to do both
![]()
How is it going with the piriformis Stretch? What are you currently doing for your daily limbering?
Yes, I was surpriced swirvel hips also hits piroformis because I thought it was only externaly rotating. The hip is more complex than that, leasson learned.
Unfortunately I have injuried My left Oblique/lats. And I havent Been 100% comfortable doing unilateral movements. Need to rest this out. How much does piroformis and Oblique work together? I know everything is connected but it seems like for me, the joints/muscles working in sagital plane or should I say the ones who rotate? They are brittle :/, this is a leasson learned by first 6 months of GB. Thankful for finding it out, hammers My head for not listening better and getting injuried.
I'm sorry to hear about your injury, Jonas. The piriformis is not attached high enough on the spine and will not be effected by oblique work.
I wish you a fast recovery ![]()