This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

GST leg strength

Started by Connor Sjogren, May 5, 2017 · 4 Replies · 209 Views

Connor Sjogren

I've been doing gymnastics bodies consistently for about 3 months now, my current schedule for training looks like

Monday: Yoga

Tuesday: Upper Body and Legs

Wednesday: Stretch (I've created a stretch workout that covers front splits, middle splits and thoracic bridge that i'm currently doing while i'm busy with university)

Thursday: Gymnastics (casual adults class) and Handstand

Friday: Core and Legs

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Mixed basketball game

On Friday and Tuesday I've been incorporating deadlifts and squats but i'm feeling like they're not as beneficial as they could be, so I was wondering if anyone could please recommend any GST specific leg exercises i could do instead of squats and deadlifts? Because i find that doing 1 lower body exercise compared to 3 for the upper body or core disproportionate. 

Everett Carroll

Hi Connor,

As a general rule, we don't suggest weighted lower body work until single leg squat has been mastered. Until that point, your lower body work should be comprised primarily of mobility, flexibility, and basic strength training. Looking at your schedule, that is exactly what you have so I suggest you stick to it.

If there is a disproportion between your upper and lower body, it is only temporary. Between your basketball games and lower body workouts, you'll build a solid lower body foundation. Then, once SLS is mastered, you'll have the potential to build greater leg strength more safely. Jog now, sprint later.

Connor Sjogren

Okay will do! Thank you :)
I'm currently doing weighted squats and deadlifts however, do you have any other exercises i could do instead of those?

Jon Douglas

Weighted leg work is introduced in Foundation 3 and 4.

Moving on from there I prefer front squats and Romanian deadlifts for strength work (over other squat/dl variants). We have discussed programming leg strength past the basic level with Coach Sommer in detail in the F3 forum :)

Connor Sjogren

Awesome :) thank you!