Nutrition log

Started by Étienne Lajeunesse, May 2, 2017 · 8 Replies · 3,375 Views

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey all,

Is there anyone logging their meals, snacks, anything they eat or drink or even anything they do to recover?  How do you manage and structure that?

Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Cronometer is a useful tool for logging that stuff and the app works well. I prefer to log my intake for 1-2 weeks a couple of times per year, and no more. That helps me get a pretty good measure of my consumption. I'd get sick of logging any more than that. 

Suzanna McGee

I've been logging my meals in MyFitnessPal app (or web version) for years. Before that (and before all these apps), I used to create my own spreadsheets (it was quite a lot of work). As I mentioned in another thread, I like to analyze things so I can figure out what my body likes and how it responds to different stimuli  :-) I love being a nerd :)

Étienne Lajeunesse

@Everett Carroll @Suzanna McGee

That's one thing for me too, I would get crazy logging everything, everytime.  But, I am currently  trying cronometer and like the way it shows nutrients. I also tried MyFitnessPal but didn't last long on this one.  Are you only using them to see if you have every calories/nutrients you need or to log and compare your meals, variations on your body?

 

 

Everett Carroll

I use it for micronutrients mainly. 

Suzanna McGee

I see the macros, calories eaten (and spent, through my FitBit), and can relate all that to my energy levels, body composition and their changes, etc… 

Étienne Lajeunesse
5 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

I see the macros, calories eaten (and spent, through my FitBit), and can relate all that to my energy levels, body composition and their changes, etc… 

All that in MyFitnessPal?  Do you recommend the fitbit with that for nutritional use (if that works) or anything else?

Suzanna McGee
18 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

All that in MyFitnessPal?  Do you recommend the fitbit with that for nutritional use (if that works) or anything else?

I didn't get the FitBit really for my nutritional needs or such… I just like to analyze and observe. So I use my Fitbit to see how I sleep, how much I have moved and how I feel correlating to all that… People often get the FitBit to get inspired to move more (more steps), but I do not really worry about my steps. I move a lot, and do 17,000–20,000 steps a day, with it our without it. So honestly, I don't really think you need it, unless you are nerdy-inclined and it is fun for you to see more data  :-) 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Ok, maybe not worth it for what I want.  I'll stick with the phone apps.

21 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

I didn't get the FitBit really for my nutritional needs or such… I just like to analyze and observe. So I use my Fitbit to see how I sleep, how much I have moved and how I feel correlating to all that… People often get the FitBit to get inspired to move more (more steps), but I do not really worry about my steps. I move a lot, and do 17,000–20,000 steps a day, with it our without it. So honestly, I don't really think you need it, unless you are nerdy-inclined and it is fun for you to see more data  :-) 

 Thanks :)