This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Cooking starches: is there an Ideal and worst way?

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, May 1, 2017 · 6 Replies · 120 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello Guys! 

Maybe It was Just answered before, but Just for curiosity, I use to cook starches like white rice simply boiled, or I made a "risotto" dish (so I could use Also a bit of Butter, parmigian, oil etc.). I Cook potatoes most of the times in the pan (not really fried, I use only a bit of oil and water); simply boiled is another option. 

So my question, is there an Ideal and worst way to Cook them? I would say If It exists, I'd guess the best one should be boiled... But other methods are even fine? Also I've always stayed away from strictly "fried" method (in which plenty of oil is used), but I wonder If It is still ok, if I use the optimal ingredients (e.g. coconut oil instead of olive oil)...

Thank you Guys!

Antonio Alías Montoya

Rice has to be always boiled and potatos and sweet potatos I think the best is boiled or baked. I was also thinking that Thrive doesn t say anything wrong about eating fried potatos, only that olive oil shouldn t be used and I guess sunflower oil is also not good. I think it d be simply too much fat. And about cooking potatos in coconut oil, is that really possible? That would be very expensive probably.

Margaret Graham

I like to steam both potatoes and sweet potatoes rather than boil them, they are less soggy that way.. well and baking of course.

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Rice is not a problem (always boiled), but actually I often cook potatoes, squash soup (and also veggies and meat) in the pan/saucepan  adding a bit of extravirgin olive oil: a low quantity, but still extravirgin oil is.

Basically in my country extravirgin olive oil is put everywhere, but I'm understanding that such kind of oil is not the best for cooking. I've considered to replace with butter and coconut but I don't feel it complying with all the recipes I mentioned. For this reason I was thinking that boiled or steam was the only "best" option for me (even though I do not like the taste so much)...  @Jeff Serven, do you suggest me to remove this attitude at my best, even though I use only a low quantity for cooking?  

Also, do you repute that boiled or other free-fat cooking methods are the best ones for dinner recipes? considering that I do not add fat source, should I move to cook with such methods much more often for dinner?

Thank you!

Alessandro

Pauline Taube

Hi Alessandro,

It's ok to fry your veggies/meat for dinner as long as you use a little amount of fat. I'd recommend to switch the olive oil with EV coconut oil or butter as you suggested and add some water in the pan :) 

Alessandro Di Sanzo
18 hours ago, Pauline Taube said:

Hi Alessandro,

It's ok to fry your veggies/meat for dinner as long as you use a little amount of fat. I'd recommend to switch the olive oil with EV coconut oil or butter as you suggested and add some water in the pan :) 

@Pauline Taube good to know that! I'm going to follow your suggestion! Thanks for your time! :)

 

Jeff Serven

Cooking with EVOO is dumb. Cooking with OO is passable but yes butter is a better option for medium and above heat.