This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straddle Up - Hip Clicking

Started by Adam Dunn, May 1, 2017 · 6 Replies · 174 Views

Adam Dunn

Having some issues with MN-PE2, the Straddle Up. The strength element of the movement is fine, but I'm noticing that the straddle is causing some clicks in my left hip socket. I think it might be the hip flexor running over the top of the femur as it internally rotates, at the end of a repetition. Each time I lower back down to the floor, after completing the concentric element of the rep, there's a click/clunk in the left hip socket. It's painless, but the hip flexor feels a bit strange after the sets. This is the 3rd day in a row I've stopped the movement before required reps are done. I have read a few posts about similar issues but couldn't really find a definitive solution to the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? If I need to become more flexible until this is corrected, what should I work on in the meantime for this element?

If it helps, I've just bought the front/middle/thoracic stretch series and am about a week in. 

 

EDIT: Also, to save a second post. When performing hollow body rocks, where should the movement be generated from? While holding the position I am able to generate a rock, but it does not feel abdominal generated. Almost more like tension from the hip flexor. I do feel fatigue in the anterior core but simply from holding the position, not from generating the rock. Thanks :)

Everett Carroll

Hi Adam,

A physio can tell you for sure what the issue is but the fact that it is painless is a good sign. I think I know the feeling though, and it is NOT comfortable. When I started GST, my hips were thrashed from endurance running. Try to find a good physio to help you fix the issue more quickly. Otherwise, be very sensitive to it during the MS series.

Next, I suggest a form check of MN/PE1 and both FL progressions (PE1 and PE2). While you sort out the clicking hip, you may be able to refine MN/PE1. 

Hollow rocks are generated from the core. The videos will help us determine the quality of your static hold and if you are using momentum by "pumping" your back/flicking your legs in the rocks. Looking forward to them!

Natawat Thanomsat

I think I experience the same thing but on my right side.  Try this.  Lie down supine and do hip circles (drawing your legs from center to the outside in a circle).  Does it click? :P

Adam Dunn

Hey Everett, been busy with work but will post a video of MN/PE1 and FL1 in the next couple days! Have been doing some MN/PE1 reps again and  trying to focus on the core activation - still feel as if I may be overusing the hip flexor, so I may need to go back and perfect the movement

Jon Douglas

I've also had this on occasion. In my case it was as simple as making suremy foot didn't drop to the outside that stopped the irritation and noise

Adam Dunn

Here's a couple videos of MN PE1 and FL PE1. After viewing them myself, I think I will regress to MNPE1 and perfect it - I think I need more compression! The reps feel easy but again, not too sure if I am generating too much force from the hip flexor. I dont feel greater activation in them during the movement, but they are fatigued as well as abdominals after the sets are done. Any tips for this would be great - I have read that pulses in the top position are useful? The FLPE1 is a 30 second set at the end of my core work today so was pretty tired already, my form is the same or better than what is shown. Any and all advice welcomed, thanks

 

 

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Adam,

Thanks for submitting the videos.

FL PE1 is looking good. Make sure your shoulders are depressed (pulled away from the ears). Your feet are a little bit high, try lowering the feet so that they are just a couple inches off the ground. 

You are doing a good job on MN PE1. Make sure that you are laying completely flat down for each reps with both arms and leg touching the floor. To work more on your compression I'd recommend to hold the top position for a couple seconds on each rep. You can also do sets of static holds at the top position and work yourself up to 30s holds :)