This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elevated Thoracic Bridge + Lumbar

Started by Francisco Garcia, May 1, 2017 · 4 Replies · 118 Views

Francisco Garcia

Hi, I am wondering if I'm doing the elevated thoracic bridge correctly.  Please see attached image.  I feel as though all of the extension is happening in my lumbar and my thoracic is completely straight.  That doesn't seem right.  I thought elevating the feet further would help, but it doesn't seem to.  I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

Francisco

IMG_3393.PNG

Pauline Taube

Hi Francisco,

Nice work. Elevating the feet does help isolate the thoracic. I have a few tips for you in order to prevent the extension of the lumbar:

1. Keep your feet on the stall bars and push through your heels. Keep your legs completely extended and engage your glutes strongly (this will prevent putting pressure on the low back)

2. Lean further into the stretch by pushing your chest out. This way you will get a greater stretch in your shoulders and upper back.

You also want to keep your neck relaxed, no need to hyperextend. 

Please try this and let us know how you go :) 

Francisco Garcia

Thank you, Pauline!  I will try it and let you know how it goes.  It's funny thay in yoga I've been told to relax the glutes in bridge/wheel.  Maybe that's why I've always felt so much pressure on my lumbar

Francisco Garcia

Hi Pauline, I tried your suggestions and it seemed to help.  I'm attaching the picture.  It's fairly subtle in the picture (top is original, bottom is this week's attempt) but I definitely felt it in the thoracic this time.  I didn't really understand the neck suggestion, as it doesn't feel like I'm hyperextending it.  Thanks again

B5CA7E03-480A-44FA-BFFD-FA03DF2940EB.jpg

Pauline Taube

Very nice, Francisco! Glad to hear that you feel it in your Thoracic now. For your neck, think about looking at the wall behind you rather than on the ground. This way your neck will be in line with your upper back ;) 

It's a little bit hard to see from the photo but you also want to keep your feet together. Once you can hold this position comfortably, you can start walk your feet further down on the stall bar :)