Abdominal Hypertrophy

Started by Steven Ravnstag, May 1, 2017 · 10 Replies · 5,986 Views

Steven Ravnstag

What are the best exercises and set/rep scheme for significant, Eugene Sandow-style abdominal hypertrophy?

I'm progressing through Foundation (on L-Sits currently for Manna) but I'm interested in playing around with some midsection development because the Greek statue torso looks cool.  I mean, who looks like that anymore?

I remember Coach talking about the biceps being an endurance muscle and how therefore they explode with higher rep rope climbs (rather than adding weight to lower reps) and I wonder if this is likely to apply to the musculature of the torso as well.

Thank you! 

Jon Douglas

I would say so. I certainly had the most hypertrophy in my abs I ever had when performing a lot of weighted sit-ups, particularly decline sit-ups, for higher rep sets. That plus support work, farmers walks, heavy ruck etc build that in the guys I gym with.

I realise that's fairly anecdotal but I see it fairly consistently. Others may have similar experience.

Steven Ravnstag

Thank you very much for the reply, Jon.

Can you give a ballpark on what higher rep means for you in this context?

The use of weight squares with my intuition on the subject.  That plus some of the movements from Foundation (the leg raise and windshield wipers in particular) performed for higher reps would probably do nicely.

Thanks again!

Alessandro Mainente

The best-weighted exercise it is the diet.

Everyone, I say everyone has abs because they are postural muscles, they are simply under a layer of fat.

Steven Ravnstag

Thank you, Alessandro.

In my case diet associated body composition is not the limiting factor.

 

 

Jon Douglas
6 hours ago, Steven Ravnstag said:

Thank you very much for the reply, Jon.

Can you give a ballpark on what higher rep means for you in this context?

The use of weight squares with my intuition on the subject.  That plus some of the movements from Foundation (the leg raise and windshield wipers in particular) performed for higher reps would probably do nicely.

Thanks again!

Not less than 15 and more often 20-30 reps per set as a rule of thumb has been my experience 

Steven Ravnstag

Thank you Sir!  

These guidelines will be invaluable in my old time strongman torso quest!

Darin Phoenix

I tend to agree with what both Jon and Alessandro have said. The core being postural muscles respond particularly well to higher reps. I love adding some weight to things like leg raises as I feel that it builds some density in the musculature. But Alessandro mentioned the leaner you are the better your abs will look.

John Kiggundu
On 4/30/2017 at 8:25 PM, Steven Ravnstag said:

What are the best exercises and set/rep scheme for significant, Eugene Sandow-style abdominal hypertrophy?

I'm progressing through Foundation (on L-Sits currently for Manna) but I'm interested in playing around with some midsection development because the Greek statue torso looks cool.  I mean, who looks like that anymore?

I remember Coach talking about the biceps being an endurance muscle and how therefore they explode with higher rep rope climbs (rather than adding weight to lower reps) and I wonder if this is likely to apply to the musculature of the torso as well.

Thank you! 

After a while you'll get bored with the "abdominal hypertrophy" look and favor compression strength which is an absolute prerequisite for all advanced gymnastic strength movements.

Suzanna McGee
12 hours ago, John Kiggundu said:

After a while you'll get bored with the "abdominal hypertrophy" look and favor compression strength which is an absolute prerequisite for all advanced gymnastic strength movements.

Amen to that. You are so right. I used to be (before GST) "abs abs abs, I want pretty abs" and was doing abs all the time. Now I got over it and I am more "compression compression, hip-flexors hip-flexors, how can I get more?" lol  And the abs are just happening "on their own"  :-) 

Oussama KHELLADI
51 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Amen to that. You are so right. I used to be (before GST) "abs abs abs, I want pretty abs" and was doing abs all the time. Now I got over it and I am more "compression compression, hip-flexors hip-flexors, how can I get more?" lol  And the abs are just happening "on their own"  :-) 

Compressione per sempre :D