This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

is this ok to train...

Started by Jin Liu, April 29, 2017 · 3 Replies · 205 Views

Jin Liu

... at my level (i can do a few strict but not slow muscle ups, and got the forward roll with a pike at the hip and straight legs)? Why, or why not? Kinda know what the answer is.., but if it's ok miraculously, any tip on what to improve? My goal is to do a backward roll on the rings.  I know it starts from a support position. I'm only doing a band-assisted pullover here as step 1. Thanks!!

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Jin,

I never suggest training ring strength exercises until the Foundation Series has been mastered. Keep cranking away at your Foundations! You're doing great there. 

Jin Liu
1 hour ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Jin,

I never suggest training ring strength exercises until the Foundation Series has been mastered. Keep cranking away at your Foundations! You're doing great there. 

Appreciate the reply @Everett Carroll. I'll not stop Foundations. I've noticed significant improvement on a great range of things, physical, strength, flexibility & mobility (even my long lasting pain from a hamstring injury is practically gone), and most importantly, the good practice. Just can't help monkeying around sometimes :P (monkeying with good practice tho).

Jon Douglas

As long as it's done for play (with respect to keeping volume and frequency light and not following progressive programming) and it's done after completing your conditioning assignment for the day, go ahead and monkey around.

It's as simple as the further through Foundation you are the quicker and safer all rings skills will come. But no one said don't play as long as you are doing it safely :)