This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FSSSE18 form feedback

Started by George Traganidas 235308, April 27, 2017 · 8 Replies · 187 Views

George Traganidas 235308

I have serious problems with this move. I cannot get my bum closer to the wall and I cannot get my arms closer to the wall either :( Near the end of doing this exercise, for the second leg, my shoulders start to hurt as I am pushing against the blocks to get me closer to the wall. At my straight leg I can feel the stretch at top of my calf and the back of my knee. The exercise just does not feel right. Any pointers?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9SwWGTeydS9dmdodlVoX0QyOFE

Thanks,

George

Ryan Reynolds

Hi George I'm sure the coaches will give you some specific pointers but you could also checkout this post and the modifications suggested at the bottom by Alessandro

Everett Carroll

Hi George,

I suggest a few adjustments to help you scale this stretch:

1. Bring your straight leg forward, off of the wall, for a bit. This should reduce the intensity of the stretch enough to allow you to achieve butt to heel on the bent side. 

2. If needed, turn the yoga blocks so they stand vertically. This will give you some additional play and possible help with achieving a comfortable butt to heel position. 

George Traganidas 235308

Everett, thanks for the feedback. I will try again and post another video.

Thanks,

George

George Traganidas 235308

Here is another try. I am still confused on where I should feel this exercise. My butt is still not touching my heel. At the moment I feel it at the back of the knee of the straight leg and a bit on the lower quad of the bent leg. Is that correct?

In addition, can you please let me know what is the first goal of the exercise for a beginner? Do I aim to get my butt to my heel first, or my straight leg closer to the wall? Or bend over more? It is not clear to me what is the progression, because the guys in the video are all doing it so well :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9SwWGTeydS9QkoxVXZRRTdGdlk

Thanks,

George

Alessandro Mainente

Hi George the goal it is both quad and hamstring, the more you are limited by the quad the less you feel the hamstring. As you stated, your butt to the heel first...then compression.

Ryan Reynolds

Hi George, I would suggest getting a chair to use as a support or something more stable and a bit taller.  I like the chair because I can us it as a solid base to push back and stretch the quad.  Then with a flat back I tilt only far enough to get the hamstring stretch (not far at all in my case).

George Traganidas 235308

Thanks Alessandro. Got it. I will aim for butt to heel first.

George Traganidas 235308

Thanks Ryan for the tip. I will try it.