This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Cramps in feet

Started by Brandon Evans, April 26, 2017 · 5 Replies · 116 Views

Brandon Evans

I frequently get cramps in my right foot (sometimes left) when doing some of the stretches in Front and Middle Split (also in some of Foundation exercises, too).  It happens the most when pointing toes during some of the positions.  It also happens in some of the Foundation exercises, too (e.g. yesterday in V-Ups).  Any ideas/suggestions for alleviating it?

Luke Searra

Brandon, most cramps usually happen because of lack of hydration or nutrition. Keep training as you are and get yourself the highest grade slow magnesium supplement you can (and/or add more salt to your meals), and take it before sleep. This along with more water before, during and after your workouts - should alleviate the cramps in no time.

Pauline Taube

Hi Brandon,

Good question. I used to struggle with cramps in my feet too because of tightness in the feet and tibialis. I'd recommend to spend some time in the seiza positions every day. I would also add calf raises a couple days a week. 

As Luke mentioned hydration is important too and if your bothered with cramps on a general basis I'd recommend to supplement with magnesium too :) 

Brandon Evans

Thanks for the feedback.  I know it's not a dehydration/nutrition issue.  I'm fairly certain it's a muscular thing as it only happens when my body/foot is in certain positions (and I drinks tons of water and take salt/potassium/magnesium for my keto diet).  I've had plantar fasciitis in the past so the seize suggestion is a great one.  I hate the butt squatted seiza exercise in Front Split which should have been my first clue. :)

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Nice suggestion from @Pauline Taube , the natural tendency of the body it is to squeeze more a muscle in order to stretch more the opposite, in this case calf/plantar muscles are opposed to tibialis.

Pauline Taube

I feel you Brandon! Doing these exercises on a regular basis will definitely help :) keep us posted on your progress!