This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Trouble with pike stretch?

Started by Jo Christian Weldingh, April 25, 2017 · 7 Replies · 133 Views

Jo Christian Weldingh

Hi,

When I do different pike stretches, I feel the majority of the stretch in the tendons on the back of my knee. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Jo, 

I suggest reducing the intensity of the pike stretches. You want to be sensitive to your connective tissue and allow it to adapt gradually. Keep all stretches in each stretch series at a low intensity. Around a 3-4 out of 10 is ideal. 

Try reducing the depth of your pike stretches and let us know if that feels better. 

Ferdinand Berr

I also feel the majority of those stretches in the hollow of my knee, I thought that's the normal case when stretching the hamstrings. I don't have any pain afterwards and neither am especially sore in this area the next days (the only remarkable soreness I get from Front Split I feel in my calves). So I guess there's no reason to change something, or should I?

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Ferndinand, this happens naturally IF your tightest part are the calves especially the gastrocnemius which is bi-articular muscles.

Jo Christian Weldingh
9 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Ferndinand, this happens naturally IF your tightest part are the calves especially the gastrocnemius which is bi-articular muscles.

So it will work itself out over time,or should I reduce the intensity like Everett said?

Alessandro Mainente

Reduce the intensity it is the first step as Everett suggested, I would consider to add the FSSSE11 as a daily limbering work.

Jo Christian Weldingh
42 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Reduce the intensity it is the first step as Everett suggested, I would consider to add the FSSSE11 as a daily limbering work.

I'll do that. Why FSSSE11, btw?

Alessandro Mainente

Because the main problem it is the Achilles tendon where both mono and bi-articular calves insert. by stretching the Achilles you will gain range of motion also on the pike.