This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Keeping heels together in seiza

Started by John Filippini, April 25, 2017 · 5 Replies · 231 Views

John Filippini

So the seiza stretches have been awesome so far... but I can't help but notice that Coach Sommer says that you shouldn't let your heels drift apart during them.  For me... this feels like it almost has to be a joke.  I'm exaggerating of course, but I have literally zero idea how to do that.

Like, should I literally be somehow binding my ankles together while I do these?  I'm not sure how to create any stretch while still holding enough tension to keep my heels together.

Thanks for any help, kind of an odd-ball issue.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @John Filippini,

Yes it should be feet and heels together. I understand how you feel. In my experience, I try to hold my feet together with my hands. This seems to help. :)

Deb Ludington

Hi John, I have the same problem. I had read somewhere in the forum to use a yoga strap. I "bind" my feet together across the tops, cross at the soles, and then run the straps up along my ankles, holding tension in the fronts of my ankles. It looks crazy, but I am finding that my feet are coming together more naturally as I do this consistently. It is a little distracting because I have to hold the straps with one hand, but I think keeping the feet together is important, so I just try to make it work.

 

Suzanna McGee

I just wrapped a stretch band around my ankles to keep them together. This allowed me to relax in the entire body while stretching (instead of struggling to hold my feet together with hands. Now, many many weeks later, it is much easier to keep them together. 

Jeffrey Bittner

Good idea Suzanna, thanks for sharing!

Deb Ludington

Thanks for the tip Suzanna! I used the D rings on the yoga strap today to bind my ankles and it worked great. No struggling to keep tension on the bands. It really let me "relax" into that painful stretch! :blink: