This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE1 help

Started by Nathaniel McAdoo, April 25, 2017 · 3 Replies · 76 Views

Nathaniel McAdoo

Hello, I am really struggling with the shoulder position in pushups. It seems that there are very conflicting views on the internet and honestly, the courses dont go into this. Should the bottom of the pushup be fully retracted? (Or at least an attempt at it). It seems like the form videos show a protracted ish pushup, but when i do this my shoulder blades seem to wing out a bit (mainly the left) as seen below. I would love some help from higher-ups on this forum.IMG_2375.thumb.PNG.036208bcd1f71c3fa7202510f6f1d7b4.PNGIMG_2379.thumb.PNG.4e51ddb57ef5b741899d632b1ebb1fc3.PNGIMG_2380.thumb.PNG.6acb133ab8dc1a5296519605128a547d.PNGIMG_2378.thumb.PNG.19180de2190e9cfa01cb390ecb74b45c.PNG

Luke Searra

I remember speaking to Coach Sommer at a seminar about this exact question. Coach Sommer's answer to me was that the important aspects of the movement are full protraction at the top of the pushup, control, and full range of motion.

Nathaniel McAdoo

maybe a stupid question, but is the amount of winging in my left scapula bad/does it matter that much? I have been trying to read up on it and, from that, activate my serratus, but it doesnt seem to be working (as seen in the second set)

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Nathaniel McAdoo,

I would suggest that you do warmup with incline shrugs. Do your shrugs like how you do your incline pushups before doing the pushups. Mobility takes time and thats why you need to keep working on it and keep refining it. Yes correcting your imbalances will take awhile.