This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How much is TOO much

Started by Gregory Sand, April 24, 2017 · 2 Replies · 180 Views

Gregory Sand

Hi,

I am currently progressing through H1 (@PE9) and am planning on adding Foundations to my daily/weekly training programs. I have currently been training H1 3-4x per week, forcing myself to only progress one step at a time even though I've likely been able to progress at a much faster pace on some of the exercises.  

Maintaining a solid freestanding handstand has been my primary goal (leading toward straddle press).  Two questions...

1. WHEN I add Foundation to my training program should I still be able to maintain my current H1 pace of progressions (3-4x week), or will it be suggested to back the volume off slightly?

2. What might a weekly trainging program look like with the addition of Foundations?

Thank You

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Gregory,

I always suggest you play in safe in these situations and at least stay on the lower end of your current frequency with H1. Keep your H1 frequency down to 2-3x per week and start off training each of the 3 Foundation workouts once per week each. Try this for at least one month before making an adjustment. That way, at the end of the four weeks, you can assess your recovery and progress before potentially adjusting. It's easier to increase the volume than it is to recover from overtraining or injury. Take your time to find YOUR optimal frequency. 

Gregory Sand

Thanks Everett!

Will do. I have current set the weekly schedule with H1 3x/week and each Foundation workout 1x/week, with exception of the core/midline programming (3x). I figure since the program progresses at my own pace if I will likely still start a bit slower and then add as I go... but still have my schedule set. (As a S&C coach I like to see a "plan" and adjust accordingly!) As stands...

Mon - H1, Core

Tues - Upperbody

Wed - Lowerbody, H1

Thurs - Core, (H1 optional if feel recovered)

Sat - H1, Core

 

*I also do do CrossFit (used to decent volume), but AM transitioning my 2017+ to a more gymnastics biased program.  

 

Thanks Again, appreciate the help.