This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand PE2 - Bodyline and Focus

Started by Adam Dunn, April 24, 2017 · 4 Replies · 194 Views

Adam Dunn

Hey all, doing HS1 at the moment. Bit of a heavyweight for GST at 6ft and 95kg (210 pounds).  I'm currently on PE2 for the HS1 course, and just wondering what my focus should be in terms of my bodyline. I have attached two videos - the first one I am attempting to make strong PPT but have slightly piked hips - in this position i feel a lot of muscular work on the shoulders, traps and arms. In the second video I am attempting to create as straight a line as possible, still with strong PPT. This position feels much easier to hold, looks better, however I feel very little strain in the muscles - just the weight evenly shared between hands and head. In both videos I try to keep hollow body as best I can.

First one - 

Second - 

 

My question is - should I be working the position that feels harder, or the one that has the best bodyline? Should the angle of the body be perpendicular to the floor, or at a lesser angle (diagonal, i guess)? I am very early into the HS course so still pretty shaky with the legs and holding a position, but I just wanted to make sure I am not learning incorrect technique. Thanks

Jon Douglas

Hi Adam, 

At this stage the 2nd option is better, to promote a straighter line. Obviously your arms will go from majority of the work to entirety of the work once you are up on your hands, so this is a moot point here :)

Looking comfy here. Be conscious of keeping your ribs down though; lower back wants to arch if you let it :)

Adam Dunn

Thanks for the feedback Jon, will continue on with that approach

Adrian Theopold

I'm basically at the same point as Adam. I have absolutely no problem holding the second position for a longer time while the first option is exhausting me pretty fast.

I still do it with more load on the hands, as otherwise I get a really gnarly ringing in my ear directly after the exercise for probably ~30-60 seconds. With load mainly on hands it's still there but in an okay range.

I had the same Issue when doing PE 1 when I put much weight on the head, so the phenomenon is pretty consistent for about 4 mont now. Playing around with PE3 I noticed that as long as I can keep my traps elevated in the position there isn't much weight on the head and I don't encounter the issue described.

So what's my option here, go for the less straight body line? I think it would then probably take me a very long time to be consistent in this exercise for 60 sec without shaking...

Adam Dunn

@Adrian Theopold,

After a bit more experimentation I've altered the technique a little to get the best of both. I still use the straighter bodyline, however if you use your forehead a little more as the resting point for the head, rather than the top of your head, your hands take a lot more of the weight. I've noticed a decrease in the uncomfortable feeling of weight through the neck/head. I also focus on elevated traps and scapula, and forcibly pushing into the ground with spread fingers. All seems to help lessen the pressure on the head - makes it harder though, I've had to regress sets and times! I'm 95kg, so I think it might take me a little longer to master this stuff than lighter people. This is actually what the athlete does in the technique video, if you take a closer look

Give that a go and it may help - keep in mind not to flex the cervical vertebrae too much, otherwise you'll be unevenly loading the discs in your neck.