This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vertical Lunge Bent/Straight

Started by Alex Tran, April 23, 2017 · 8 Replies · 238 Views

Alex Tran

Yikes. I wasn't even able to get into starting position for either the bent or straight variations. 

I can get my foot vertical against the wall, but I can't get my front leg out in front into position. Apparently front splits are going to be a long ways out for me. ;)

Is there an alternate form I can use instead?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Alex,

Keep in mind that stretching is a process. Both of these exercises are near the end of the stretch course for a reason. As you improve on the other progressions in the course, these exercises will become easier for you. I recommend doing these variations with the back leg bent to about 45 degrees. You can easily do this by placing your back foot on top of some yoga blocks. As you become more flexible, work on moving the back leg towards vertical.

Alex Tran

just making sure i'm interpreting you right...is the attached image the correct position for the back foot? 

vlcsnap-2017-04-23-19h44m38s957.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

Hei Alex, this is ok, but do not bend the knee less than 45°, if you can hold this position I suggest FIRST  to move the knee closer to the wall and try to move the upper body vertical and begin again.

Jonas Berglund

Hi everyone, a similar but different question. Im doing the Bent leg lunge with knee 30cm from the Wall. Should i skip the straight leg version? 

Leo Trinidad

Hi Jonas,

Do not skip the straight leg version. The straight leg version not only works on your quads and hip flexors but also your hamstrings. It is different from the bent leg.

Nithin Reddy

Hello coaches! I’m doing the front split as recommended, once a week, and I’m also having trouble with these stretches. A couple questions:

1. Is there any additional work I should be doing outside of this series?

2. These are the adjustments I’ve made to be able get into these stretches. Do they look right?

 

F90A346A-2B87-4C4B-93FB-F154FF545285.jpeg

734595EA-3964-48B2-B163-F0A19FACE82D.jpeg

Alessandro Mainente
On 11/19/2020 at 7:41 AM, Nithin Reddy said:

Hello coaches! I’m doing the front split as recommended, once a week, and I’m also having trouble with these stretches. A couple questions:

1. Is there any additional work I should be doing outside of this series?

2. These are the adjustments I’ve made to be able get into these stretches. Do they look right?

 

F90A346A-2B87-4C4B-93FB-F154FF545285.jpeg

734595EA-3964-48B2-B163-F0A19FACE82D.jpeg

Hey Reddy, it seems ok, you can shot a photo from the front in order to see if there are hips rotation.

Nithin Reddy

Hi Alessandro. Here are the front splits from the front. 

CD6B1C4D-475C-43DF-BD4E-C000E31B548C.jpeg

913516D5-E2DE-40DD-81C6-B5F0F0875452.jpeg