This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hyperextend elbows/knees in F1 or stop at straight?

Started by Jen Seda, April 22, 2017 · 1 Replies · 45 Views

Jen Seda

Hi! Just starting foundation 1 and there are a lot of cues for fully locking out legs/arms in stretch and strength moves throughout the program. When I fully lock out, I have a good 10-15 degree hyper extension in elbows and a smaller amount,but still beyond straight in knees. 

So how do I train? Fully lock out and hyperextend? Or stop at full straight (the way I was taught in the past but was ages ago without a lot of scientific merit)? I'm worried about getting back into dynamic tumbling training with hyperextended elbows/knees- loading joints inappropriately. I've had bicep tendinitis and rotator cuff issues in the past and want to start out right, slow, gain a solid foundation for no injuries/bad habits. 

Thanks!!

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Jen,

You're not alone. Many of our students have similar issues with their knees and elbows. If your joints naturally hyperextend, you are okay to train with your knees and elbows completely locked as long as there is no pain. That being said, natural hyperextension in the joints can make you more susceptible to injury. It is extremely important that you give your joints time to adjust to new exercises. By being slow and thorough in your training, you will be able to strengthen the connective tissue surrounding your joints.