This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1 iM

Started by Josh Earl, April 22, 2017 · 6 Replies · 106 Views

Josh Earl

How is my form and ROM looking on this:

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Josh,

You are off to a good start. I suggest dropping to an unweighted bar and spreading the hands apart so that you are able to open the shoulders to 180 degrees. After finding the spot where you can open the shoulders completely, slowly work on bringing the hands closer together. Once you are able to open the shoulders fully with the hands at shoulder width, it is time to add weight.

Josh Earl
On 4/22/2017 at 1:52 PM, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hi Josh,

You are off to a good start. I suggest dropping to an unweighted bar and spreading the hands apart so that you are able to open the shoulders to 180 degrees. After finding the spot where you can open the shoulders completely, slowly work on bringing the hands closer together. Once you are able to open the shoulders fully with the hands at shoulder width, it is time to add weight.

Thanks, Jeff. I'll work on getting full flexion. My shoulder mobility is pretty wretched and it's holding me back in a number of areas.

The bar I'm using is an empty pipe that weighs maybe 2-3 lbs. Is that still too heavy? I don't have any trouble holding it in position when I position my hands farther apart.

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Josh,

Some students prefer using a wooden dowel rod or a broomstick when starting this mobility. Something similar might work for you as well. 

Josh Earl

Moved my hands waaay further apart for this one:

Aside from getting the hands to shoulder width, anything else to work on here @Jeffrey Bittner?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Josh,

Great adjustment! Your hip angle and shoulder angle both look good. Once you feel more comfortable with the adjustments to your position, slowly work on bringing the hands closer together until they are shoulder width apart, then add a small amount of weight. Awesome job, Josh!

Josh Earl
48 minutes ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hey Josh,

Great adjustment! Your hip angle and shoulder angle both look good. Once you feel more comfortable with the adjustments to your position, slowly work on bringing the hands closer together until they are shoulder width apart, then add a small amount of weight. Awesome job, Josh!

Thanks, Jeff! I'll keep working it.