This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Newbie with stiff leg windmill

Started by Nebiyou Yidegiligne, April 20, 2017 · 3 Replies · 170 Views

Nebiyou Yidegiligne

First of all, thank you for existing... I only wish I knew about this decades ago! 

I'm a 37yrs old soldier with (surprise, surprise) tight shoulders, back, hamstrings etc... Did my 1st Core today, and found I had trouble with the Stiff Leg Windmill. The biggest issue was attempting to keep the arm straight up (shoulder was ultra tight and fought me the whole way), and noticed hamstring resistance as well...

My question: Is there anything I could do to improve on this, some sort of stretch prior to, a different move to progress to this or anything else? 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Nebiyou Yidegiligne welcome aboard to GB, I'm happy you find our work very helpful for you. Well, can I ask you post a video of your execution? In your specific case I would consider adding the thoracic bridge stretch series, it is very very good for "frozen"shoulders.

Leigh Kettle

Hey nebiyou

i too struggled with this exercise from the beginning and being the same age as you I understand your tightness issues all too well 

my advice if I can give it to you  is to be consistent with it even if range of motion is small to start with, just keep turning up,  putting in the work and keep the best form you can and you will improve in time no doubt 

good luck 

Laurie Donaldson

I agree with Leigh - just keep working at it. Stiff leg windmill is my nemesis. I have been on step 1 of that exercise for a while now, but just this week I was able to reach inside my leg while keeping my arm straight. Everything else is moving up in steps, but that one holds me back, so I just keep working at it each week. I highly recommend the Stretch series. I have all three and they help immensely with the Foundation exercises. It's just a process and sometimes a slow one, but the program does work.