This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS PE3 5x10

Started by Ryan Segervall, April 19, 2017 · 14 Replies · 173 Views

Ryan Segervall

Originally I was on SLS PE5 5x10 but was told to regress to address getting greater knee and hip flexion at the bottom of my squat. however @Everett Carroll recommended I keep a couple sets of skiers in my training. 

 

Top video I am using a counter weight to help me get lower into my squat when feet are together did 3x10, video only shows 1st set and a range of motion assessment with a counterbalance 

 

Bottom video PE 3 5x10. A very easy exercise, but seems I am still lacking a bit of knee and dorsi flexion as my butt is still a bit far from ankles. I tried to smooth out my iM as instructed last time, still a bit shaky. Do you want us working end ranges on this hip articulations? Based of my knowledge this is a good thing and a little shake is gonna happen as the nervous system is not accustomed to these ranges. however if this is not the goal of the exercise I can try doing smaller circles. 

 

Let me know if there are any adjustments I should make 

 

Also I will say I am itching for some lower leg strength work. Is there anyway I could program in some heavier exercises along side with these? I understand the importance of mastering the bottom of the squat before we get into the strength work in Foundations 2, but didnt know if there was any way I could start working some heavier stuff. Legs are atrophying :/ 

Everett Carroll

Your Skiers and Kneeling Circle are looking great, Ryan. The shakiness will soon go away but your form and ROM look excellent. They are much smoother. Your squat's depth is also coming along nicely. Keep at it! You're nearly there. 

I don't suggest adding in weighted lower leg work just yet. If you keep working hard and your squat depth and kneeling circle continue improving at this rate, I don't think it'll be too many more weeks before you're done with SLS in F1. From there, your legs and hips are going to soak up the F2 SLS work. Stay patient and focus on your mobility right now. 

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll I'll keep patient and keep cranking. Been really hammering the bottom of a squat position, getting upwards of 30min in that position each day. Appears to be working :) 

Ryan Segervall

Here is a squat depth update. I will say Ive made a ton of progress on my control and endurance in the squat. I coasted right through a 10 minute squat the other day. 

Let me know how this is looking. I feel like I am close to progressing :) 

 

also apologize on the bad lighting 

Pauline Taube

Great progress, Ryan!

Being patient and consistent definitely pays off :) 

Ryan Segervall

@Everett Carroll

Everett, 

Here is my current squat depth. I am anxious/curious to here what you think. Is this adequate to move onto Foundations 2 lower body work? Or do you want me to stay where I am at for another little bit. trying to be as patient as possible :) 

IMG_0680.JPG

Everett Carroll

Nice Ryan! That's a significant improvement. I think you're clear to move on now. 

Ryan Segervall
1 hour ago, Everett Carroll said:

Nice Ryan! That's a significant improvement. I think you're clear to move on now. 

Awesome! 

As painfully boring as that work was Im super glad I put the time in. Things are feeling really good! 

ill be posting a form check in the foundations 2 SLS PE6 forum later this week :) 

 

Thank you for your guidance!

Jeffrey Bittner

Awesome job, Ryan!

Ron Kirkland

Ryan,

 

I'm in the same boat you were in. Unless I'm holding a small counterweight I fall back at the bottom of my squat. What helped you the most in fixing that issue?

 

Thanks,

 

Ron

Ryan Segervall
33 minutes ago, Ron Kirkland said:

Ryan,

 

I'm in the same boat you were in. Unless I'm holding a small counterweight I fall back at the bottom of my squat. What helped you the most in fixing that issue?

 

Thanks,

 

Ron

Several things

1) accumulating around 30 minutes in a squat each day. This was done primarily by eating every meal off the floor in a squat, brushing teeth in a squat and taking breaks away from studying to go and sit in a squat and usually run through Ido Portals Squat clinic routine. 

 

2) with feet together use a small counter weight and hold for time. I usually would through in a couple of sets using a 10lb counter weight for 1-2 min at the end of my workouts. I would then progressively overload by decreasing weight by 2.5 lbs on a tri weekly schedule. I now am using 5lbs for 1 min hold with feet together. 

 

Hope this helps. 

Consistency is the most important factor

Ron Kirkland

Great ideas, thanks!

Suzanna McGee
12 hours ago, Ryan Segervall said:

eating every meal off the floor in a squat, brushing teeth in a squat

This is a great focus!!! I am trying to improve my hip-flexor flexibility, and I have been brushing my teeth and other hygiene stuff in the "vertical lunge" every night  :-) Maybe I have to start eating my meals in the vertical lunge. I'd be so flexible, according to how much I eat  ;-) 

Ryan Segervall

This transition was something that I have tried in the past and failed terribly. The compression strength, dorsi, knee and hip flexion were just not there. Trying to lift my butt off the ground seemed like a impossible task. Today while hanging out in the field taking a study break I played around with it and was very surprised with how easy it was. Yes there was some missed reps here and there but that is expected when learning anything. It was one of those moments where I noticed the carry over of my training to my movement capacity. I now have access to this movement. Small moment of victory for me :) 

 

Just thought id share, 

 

Ryan  

Everett Carroll

Awesome, Ryan! All that squat work is paying off for sure.