This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

6 months on tuck ups, heeeeelp!!!!

Started by Leigh Kettle, April 18, 2017 · 25 Replies · 805 Views

Leigh Kettle

Hey guys

I've posted form checks of my tuck ups before and have taken all the advice on board .however this move is still my nemesis, and I'm really unhappy with my form no matter what I've tried to do To help . This I've put down from research here to a couple of things . 

1. My shoulder flexion is still being worked on so this means at the bottom position I am unable to lay with a flat back/ppt as well as having my legs and arms on the floor . My current leg and shoulder flexibility level just won't allow it. When my legs are on the floor I have to arch my lower back to be able to touch my arms on the floor. However I'm working hard on my shoulder flexion am working all the 3 stretch series  so I'm hoping im on the right track with This part of the move 

2.  I am still unable to lie supine and perform a sit up without my feet raising to allow me to sit up or using a lot of momentum in my arms.  This also is true in the reverse when I am trying to perform the supine thoracic band pull from the thoracic series. When lowering I have to anchor my feet. If I didn't I don't even get half way before my feet pop up .  I understand from a previous post relating to this that this is due to me having weak abs and using my hip flexors dominantly in this move 

So my question is how can I strengthen my abs for this . ?? I have been on tuck ups since starting gst in October 2016 (way too long I feel) yet still my abs haven't gotten any stronger and when the tuck up reps are increased to over 9 reps I start to feel like momentum takes over to get me up . Another post I came across suggested I just do small pulses at the top of the tuck up to work the compression more and ultimately my abs but I tried these earlier and didn't have any fatigue in the abs any more than the normal tuck up . 

Any help with exercises I can substitute the tuck up for now to strengthen my abs  would be much appreciated . 

Many thanks 

Leigh 

Everett Carroll

Hi Leigh,

Your compression and mobility have both improved a lot of the months so stay positive! You will master these. 

I don't recommend you substitute the tuck ups for another exercise. You are doing all the right things (stretch courses, form checks, etc). 

When I hit a sticking point like this, I'll add in 3-5 sets of the exercise throughout the day in addition to my scheduled training. In your case, you could spread sets of tuck ups throughout each day, either practicing actively compressing at the top for time or performing reps.

Another thing you can do is start working on Jefferson Curls after your core workouts. Don't start training straddle ups but a single set of 5-10 Jefferson Curl repetitions could really help give you an edge. Start very light, of course, and focus on form (send us in form check videos right away). The weight should feel very manageable. 

What does your core warm up currently look like?

Leigh Kettle
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Leigh,

Your compression and mobility have both improved a lot of the months so stay positive! You will master these. 

I don't recommend you substitute the tuck ups for another exercise. You are doing all the right things (stretch courses, form checks, etc). 

When I hit a sticking point like this, I'll add in 3-5 sets of the exercise throughout the day in addition to my scheduled training. In your case, you could spread sets of tuck ups throughout each day, either practicing actively compressing at the top for time or performing reps.

Another thing you can do is start working on Jefferson Curls after your core workouts. Don't start training straddle ups but a single set of 5-10 Jefferson Curl repetitions could really help give you an edge. Start very light, of course, and focus on form (send us in form check videos right away). The weight should feel very manageable. 

What does your core warm up currently look like?

This is perfect everett thank you so much 

as always I will do as you suggest

working on the compression hold throughout the day sounds a great idea. I toyed with this a while back but never with any consistency so i will do this for sure 

I will submit a Jefferson curl form check for you to check over then, thank you... I've tried these before but when I saw that they weren't included in my current progressions I backed off in fear of doing something before I was ready . 

My warm up generally stays the same(approx 7-10mins  before each workout as I mix in some previous preogressions I've mastered from core, upper and lower 

The core section of my warm up includes

15/9 side over arches 

60 tucked hollow body rocks 

hope this ok 

leigh 

 

 

 

Everett Carroll

Sounds great, Leigh, and your warmup is good as long as you are also performing the iM's :) Please also submit a tuck up form update. Lookig forward to your videos!

Leigh Kettle

Yes Everett I'm doing cat cow after my hollow rocks and standing twist with elbows behind head after over arches 

look forward to feedback from my latest videos 

thanks again 

Aaron Hughson

I'd like to understand if compression work at the top of the movement can help in mastering Tuck Up. As I am currently in a feeling of no control. But my legs are mostly tired and I wonder if I'm at all engaging correctly.

@Everett Carroll

Everett Carroll

Great question Aaron. Yes, just like Leigh is now doing, try holding and actively compressing in the top position. This is a great warmup and cooldown for your core workouts! Give it a shot and be sure to strive for an upright back and strong compression for the whole time!

Katherine Zodiaco

I am having a very similar issue with scapular shrugs. I have been on them since October and have made almost no progress - my abdominals CRAMP!! 

I would like to give them up completely,  but before I do that, I decided to stop all other training in order to be rested on the day I do scap shrugs.  So far the only difference this has made is I feel like I have a jelly belly 6 days of the week. :huh:  And it hasn't made the shrugs any easier.

Then I thought well maybe I should add in 1 to 2 sets on every day of the week to build up strength. All that did for me was made it impossible to complete one set on the designated training day. 

I am currently holding a high plank for 60 seconds five days of the week hoping this increases my compression strength without taxing me  too much. Two weeks of that hasn't made a noticeable difference. 

So at this point I guess the only thing I can do… 4x12 scap shrugs for the rest of my life. Sigh.  I guess there are worse things.

... yeah I could be stuck doing windows for the rest of my life! 

Everett Carroll

Hi Katherine,

You are not doomed to 4x12 scap shrugs forever, don't worry! I'd like to start off with a few questions to help us get a better picture of potential causes for this plateau:

1. How often are you training each workout every week?

2. What kind of additional exercise sets, non-GB workouts, etc, are you doing each week?

3. Have you submitted scap shrug form checks in the past?

The extra planks could be tiring you out for your GB workouts so I think it's safe to say you should stop those for now. We're looking forward to helping!

Aaron Hughson
28 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Great question Aaron. Yes, just like Leigh is now doing, try holding and actively compressing in the top position. This is a great warmup and cooldown for your core workouts! Give it a shot and be sure to strive for an upright back and strong compression for the whole time!

@Everett Carroll

 

Thank You for the response. Just to refine it a bit... Should I attempt to hold for time the tuck up for each set?

i.e. Follow Along 12 Reps ( Hold until set is complete)? Follow mobility?

Everett Carroll

Hi Aaron,

Perform your workout like normal. Do the reps and mobility just like the follow along shows.

The static holds in the top position are best done before your workout, after your workout, and at other times throughout the week if you so choose.

I don't think you'll need to hold each one for longer than 60s. Aim for a quality hold each time, meaning hold your best compressed position for the entire time. Don't push to failure. Form is number one. Like I mentioned to Leigh, 3-5 holds per day is the most you'd want to do of these in addition to your normal training. When in doubt, do less. 

Paul Wallbridge
1 hour ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Katherine,

You are not doomed to 4x12 scap shrugs forever, don't worry! I'd like to start off with a few questions to help us get a better picture of potential causes for this plateau:

1. How often are you training each workout every week?

2. What kind of additional exercise sets, non-GB workouts, etc, are you doing each week?

3. Have you submitted scap shrug form checks in the past?

The extra planks could be tiring you out for your GB workouts so I think it's safe to say you should stop those for now. We're looking forward to helping!

I can second this. I thought I was doomed to low reps of scrap shrugs and on a number of occasions had to stop at the 7th rep. At some point after a two week holiday and resetting to the beginning, the extra reps just became manageable and now I'm working on getting those extra reps perfect. Stick at it!

Katherine Zodiaco

Thank you @Paul Wallbridge!! I really need to hear that you progressed after being stuck.

Katherine Zodiaco
3 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Katherine,

You are not doomed to 4x12 scap shrugs forever, don't worry! I'd like to start off with a few questions to help us get a better picture of potential causes for this plateau:

1. How often are you training each workout every week? Once including the stretch series 

2. What kind of additional exercise sets, non-GB workouts, etc, are you doing each week? NONE anymore :-(  None the past 3 weeks. I used to train Abs, yoga  misc. kettlebell exercises, & lunges...and I really miss it!

3. Have you submitted scap shrug form checks in the past? No.

The extra planks could be tiring you out for your GB workouts so I think it's safe to say you should stop those for now. We're looking forward to helping! Good grief! I've never worked out so little / rested so much  on a workout program! I need to get stronger  (to complete the scap shrugs) and my existing program doesn't seem to be  doing the trick. 

Hi Everett, Thank you for your response. I replied in the quoted area.

And...I don't think think this has anything to do with my inability - I have a spinal fusion at L4. I'm scheduled to do upper body tomorrow. I'll record my scap shrugs. It's not pretty.

Quote

 

 

Everett Carroll

Thanks Katherine, 

Let's start with the form check and go from there. 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
On 4/24/2017 at 6:03 PM, Katherine Zodiaco said:

Hi Everett, Thank you for your response. I replied in the quoted area.

And...I don't think think this has anything to do with my inability - I have a spinal fusion at L4. I'm scheduled to do upper body tomorrow. I'll record my scap shrugs. It's not pretty.

 

With a spinal fusion...  have a chiropractor make sure you do not have any excessive curvature in your upper back. Excessive curvature can make things more difficult. I recently had excessive curvature, in my upper back, pulled out.  IF you happen to have any excessive curvature pulled out, expect to be fairly sore for a few weeks. 

Just in case... popping your knuckles is similar to a chiropractic adjustment.

Katherine Zodiaco

@Rayne-William Fitzgerald,

Thank you! That does not sound like fun.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Having excessive curvature in the spine and having it pulled out is not fun at all. However when your spine is as it should be, things become easier and for some your core strength improves greatly.

Leigh Kettle

@Everett Carroll

Everett as I mentioned above my real weakness seems to be in the first part of the tuck up-

as well as me doing the static compression holds that will work the top of the move do you have any suggestions for ways of strengthening the first portion of the move . my abs are too weak to be able to perform a sit up without  anchoring my feet or a tuck up or using momentum from My arms and I feel if I could strengthen this my overall tuck up would be better 

in the thoracic forum I included a video a bit back of me attempting the lowering portion of the supine band pull without any feet anchoring. As I got half way my feet lift and I fall rapidly . Today This has not improved at all since that post .when I do this section of the series I just work negatives hoping they'd have helped over the weeks but as I say I still fall rapidly with no improvement of any note 

also ive included 2 pics of me performing the compression hold you advised I should do . One is where I pull hard with my Hands to get in as tight as I can and the other is when I let go and try and hold myself in compression as much as I can . My question is i feel the work strongly in my hip flexors and nothing much in the abs. Am I doing it wrong ? 

Many thanks 

Leigh 

 

IMG_3694.PNG

IMG_3695.PNG

Benjamin Renaud

@Leigh Kettle, Hi man, have you ever considered hip anatomy as a "blockage" to getting knees closer to chest? I just watched this yesterday and reading your post had me think about it. Can you deep squat (butt to calves and belly to quads) easily? Or close squat easily (deep squat with feet together)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAVJkbTf0M

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Leigh Kettle,

Can you please post a video of your tuck up.

Leigh Kettle
4 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Hi @Leigh Kettle,

Can you please post a video of your tuck up.

Hey Leo . I'll post you my current form from today's session

thank you 

Leigh 

Leigh Kettle
17 hours ago, Benjamin Renaud said:

@Leigh Kettle, Hi man, have you ever considered hip anatomy as a "blockage" to getting knees closer to chest? I just watched this yesterday and reading your post had me think about it. Can you deep squat (butt to calves and belly to quads) easily? Or close squat easily (deep squat with feet together)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAVJkbTf0M

 

Hey Benjamin

i don't have too much trouble deep squatting either way  and have had my squat assessed and okayed by the coaches here . I do have a butt wink as I go below parallel whether that's any indication but again my squat pe was "mastered" a bit back so I'm guessing this wasn't ok . either way my butt touches my calves 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Leigh Kettle,

I don't see any problem with your form. Your compression is actually good. It'll get better over time. Mobility takes time. Once you get to the later progressions of your Manna training, your compression will definitely improve.