This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

most "bang for the buck" foods

Started by Ferdinand Berr, April 18, 2017 · 3 Replies · 165 Views

Ferdinand Berr

Hey everybody;)

I've been asking myself which sorts of food are the most "bang for the buck" in terms of quantity and quality of nutrients. I've already read the "Bulletproof Kitchen" and found it unbelievably helpful, but I'd like to dig a bit deeper into the question of which sorts of food are the most "effective and/or efficient". So I'm looking for either "swiss army knife foods" or foods, that are just unbelievably valuable in one specific area, so that they should definitely be a part of my diet. I find that especially when it comes to building new healthy habits, such "instruments" come in very handy, as it is rather difficult to for example start eating healthy fats for breakfast and establish a broad variety of different breakfast arrangements at the same time. Such "bang for the buck" foods would 1. make it easier to get started and 2. be a good "safety option" later on. Thrive does a good job providing the necessary information, but perhaps there's even more helpful stuff to know;)

 

Let's say you could only choose from a certain amount of different sorts of food, which would those be? Perhaps divided into categories of protein source, fat source, carb source, vegetables, fruit and others.

I understand that nutrition is not all about efficiency or something and I don't even want to limit the food sources in my diet - this is more geared towards figuring out which sorts of food I should definitely include in my diet, which foods I should always have at hand and so on. 

 

From the Thrive lessons so far I'd conclude that eggs for example would probably be the perfect "swiss army knife food", as they combine a pretty high amount of healthy fats and good protein (in a relatively small portion, too). Another Go-To food of mine right now is greek yogurt for the same reasons. But I'm pretty clueless when it comes to vegetables and fruit, for example.

 

Looking forward to your opinion!

 

Jared Birbeck

not at all helpful...but whatever you can get and enjoy would be best bang for buck. I have a great Fruit and Veg shop close to me. the vegetables of choice I grab are the ones they have on special which is usually what is in season and they have bought up in bulk and are 'ugly' in the sense they don't look nice so many people don't want them. so that changes from week to week.

so as an example I will switch on green leafy between different lettuces, kale, spinach, silver beet and cabbage, although cabbage is nearly always in there because it is awesome. Generally I am a 'no veg is best bang for buck' guy...just get something and don't over think it. 

 

 

Mark Schoenhard

I feel nutrition is best when individualized.  Robb Wolf has just released a new book, "Wired to Eat," explains why and how.

Antonio Alías Montoya

I d say kefir, egss, avocado, kale, brocolí, wild salmon, berries...