This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Calf raises & balance

Started by Jessica Webber, April 17, 2017 · 9 Replies · 205 Views

Jessica Webber

I had to scale up to be able to do 60 reps of the three calf raises.  I still can't do them without one hand on the wall for balance, but I'm working on it.  I can get about 20-25 reps of the first set before I need to use the wall.  With one hand on the wall I can focus on keeping heels together (or in, or out) and fully extending the ankles.  So I start with hands at my side and when my form gets sloppy due to imbalance I grab the wall to finish the set.  Is this the best way to scale so eventually I won't need the wall, or should I not be using the wall at all and only do as many reps as I can before losing balance?

 

Thanks

Coach Sommer

Hello Jessica,

Either way is fine.  

My athletes prefer to perform their calf raises free standing, while personally half the time I mix them between assisted and free standing depending upon how I feel that day.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Coach,

Is it the same thing if we can balance, but can't make full extensions towards the end of each set? 

Leo Trinidad

Hi Étienne,

Best is to go with what is your maximum range of motion and eventually refine it towards the required range. It is not the same with full extensions. Its like doing slightly bent arms and almost locked knees in the other exercises.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Ok, so, since I can do it in balance, I just have to keep working this way until I can do it perfectly?

1 hour ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Hi Étienne,

Best is to go with what is your maximum range of motion and eventually refine it towards the required range. It is not the same with full extensions. Its like doing slightly bent arms and almost locked knees in the other exercises.

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Étienne,

You may also scale the exercise like Jessica is doing by supporting yourself slightly on the wall. Focus on getting the full range and eventually you can move away from the wall :) 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Ok, good idea!  I'll send a form check for those. 

Thank you :)

Leo Trinidad

I agree with Pauline with scaling. Even when I have reached full ROM, I still scale sometimes. :)

Coach Sommer
On 4/17/2017 at 6:24 PM, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Hi Coach,

Is it the same thing if we can balance, but can't make full extensions towards the end of each set? 

Hi Étienne,

No, full extension is required on every single rep.  No exceptions.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Étienne Lajeunesse
1 hour ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Étienne,

No, full extension is required on every single rep.  No exceptions.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hi Coach,

Thank you for your answer! So, can I take a little rest when I start to feel tired and finish the set afterwards?  Or is there a better way?

By the way, I wanted you to know that I love your approach on GST and it's a pleasure to talk to you.  I've not been training for a long time, but I already feel the physical (and mental) improvements that your method incorporate.  I'm really looking forward to follow a seminar soon!

Thank you for your time!