This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE7 (Hanging leg lift)

Started by Petri Widsten, April 16, 2017 · 15 Replies · 210 Views

Petri Widsten

Moved on to this and started with 5x3. Here are my 1st and last sets. What should I improve - more compression?

 

Jon Douglas

I like your setup! :)

Some more compression needed here. Too much swing and back/butt too far from the bar - notice how it starts to look a bit  pike front lever-y. Relax your shoulders, try to avoid pulling with your lats, and try to keep your back closer to the bar.

Excellent compression would be keeping the back pretty damn close to flat and having the only movement be the hip closing (and whatever mimimum is required to facilitate that in the lower back). This doesn't need to be developed to this level for mastery as a strength movement, but keep it in mind as once you move past using these for strength, they will be used as an active flexibility/compression tool and should remain in your warmup pretty much indefinitely. So keep that focus in mind :)

Petri Widsten

Got it, Jon. I'll see if I can fold from the hips rather than trying to lift the legs to stay closer to the bars. Have to find a cue that works for that. I wasn't really pulling with arms but maybe "lift the legs" is not the best cue. Cheers!

Petri Widsten

Hey guys, 

I tried a few singles to improve my form, focussing on keeping my back against the bars for as long as possible. I hope this is an improvement.

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Petri Widsten,

Looking good. Just make sure that you point your toes and lock your knees. 

Petri Widsten
On 17/04/2017 at 10:55 PM, Leo Trinidad said:

Hi @Petri Widsten,

Looking good. Just make sure that you point your toes and lock your knees. 

Back to 5x3 with better form. Might this form be good enough then?

 

Jeffrey Bittner

It's looking pretty good Petri. You are still picking up a small amount of knee bend as you lift the legs. As you lower, you are arching the lower back slightly. Work on keeping your back flat against the mat as you lower.

Petri Widsten
1 hour ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

It's looking pretty good Petri. You are still picking up a small amount of knee bend as you lift the legs. As you lower, you are arching the lower back slightly. Work on keeping your back flat against the mat as you lower.

Thanks for the tips, Jeffrey. Actually I wasn't focusing on the lowering part at all - I'll eliminate the arching from now on.

Petri Widsten

Enough improvement or not yet? For now, I do them slowly as I've noticed my form suffers if I try to speed them up (though I can bang out reps more easily). I hope it's ok.

 

Pauline Taube

This is looking better, Petri. Make sure your knees are completely locked :) 

Petri Widsten
1 hour ago, Pauline Taube said:

This is looking better, Petri. Make sure your knees are completely locked :) 

Sure, Pauline. That's my main focus point - if I didn't have to worry about it these would be way easier. Thanks!

Pauline Taube

Keep working on it! Looking forward to see your progress here :) 

Petri Widsten

I'm now able to keep my knees locked at the top and will move on to full sets unless there's still something to fix. I sped them up a bit too.

 

Petri Widsten

bump

Jeffrey Bittner

Nice work, Petri. It looks good!

Petri Widsten

Awesome, thanks Jeffrey. Time to put in the volume now.