This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tightness in middle back

Started by Christopher Woodall, April 15, 2017 · 4 Replies · 96 Views

Christopher Woodall

Hi, 

I've been doing middle split for 6 months. While doing my butterfly and pancake work I feel that my ROM is restricted by my back, specifically the middle centre, about 10 inches below the bottom of my shoulder blades.

What is causing this and is there any other stretch or movement I can do to work on this? I don't have the bridge video.

 

many thanks in advance.

chris

Everett Carroll

Hi Christopher,

My apologies for the delay. This is very common when first beginning the series so don't worry. You're doing just fine.

As your flexibility improves, you will find it more and more comfortable to sit upright. For now, I suggest scaling these stretches by sitting up on one or more stretch blocks. Elevating your hips is the best way to help you reduce the restriction in your back and improve your flexibility at the same time. Over time, you will be able to lower your hips and maintain a flat back. 

The mobility exercises from the Core workouts in Foundations specifically target these areas and will also help you to reduce this restriction. If you aren't already, I suggest beginning Foundation One. The combination of mobility and flexibility from these two courses is sure to quickly open up your hips and back. 

Please give these scaling options a shot, let us know how it feels, and send in a video of your positions if possible. 

Keep up the hard work!

Christopher Woodall

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I assumed you had taken a day off for the holidays. I have foundation 1 set and the front split also. The question stems from my progress in the front split vs the middle. I've seen large improvements in hamstring mobility but not so such in my ability to pancake.  I will take it right back in terms of hip elevation and sit on a couple of blocks. What should I be looking for to find my level? i.e. the correct hip elevation

Should I be aiming to get my chest down to the floor while retaining the pelvic tilt? and then scale the hip elevation from there? Is it worth really focusing on developing the anterior pelvic tilt in my front split also, currently I can keep a flat flat to about 90 degrees for this.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Christopher, in the beginning, the pancake requires more adductors mobility like at the end when you are trying to reach the floor with APT it is required extreme hamstring flexibility. the hip capsule it is hardly involved and this reflects the less amount of improvements in the middle split. generally, I suggest scaling the movement by elevating the hips and reach the horizontal position with the upper body. then reduce the scaling option.

Christopher Woodall

Excellent, thanks for the help.

Chris