This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

hanging leg raises - shoulder pain

Started by Andrey Kruglykhin, April 14, 2017 · 6 Replies · 101 Views

Andrey Kruglykhin

I am currently experiencing strong pain when doing hanging leg raises. I stopped practicing them altogether.

I know Coach said to use neutral or even supinated grip but this does little or nothing to alleviate the pain.

Any thoughts? Appreciated!

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Andrey Kruglykhin,

My advice is for you to consider getting the Handstand One Course. It will help you build super strong shoulders that will make those Hanging Leg Lifts easy. If you already have the course, make sure you work on those exercises and mobility diligently. :) 

Suzanna McGee

I second Leo's advice. As soon as I got much better shoulder flexion (and strength), the hanging leg raises became comfortable. The Thoracic Bridge series helped a lot as well. 

Andrey Kruglykhin

@Leo Trinidad @Suzanna McGee Thank you, guys: doing the HS1 and Thorasic Bridge series already! Those seem like a longer term solution / approach. Any specific exercise I should be adding to address the pain? Or any tips like the Coach's "use neutral or even supinated grip"? My osteopath thinks teres minor is overused while I feel it like a stiff biceps. Which specific exercise would pump blood through the shoulder? The pain comes in while doing the hanging leg raises or it comes later after the handstand work when flexing the shoulders to kiss the wall. 

Suzanna McGee

@Andrey Kruglykhin, a while ago Alessandro gave me a tip to do the elevated cat more often. I included it daily… it helped a lot. Also, the other thing I do is out of scope of the program here, so check with your dr/osteopath first. I do some myofascial release for my biceps, chest, upper triceps and latissimus. It helps me to loosen up all the area. Eventually, much less of that was needed when I developed better flexion. Also, just for your reference, I've been on the Thoracic Bridge for 35 weeks and it's first now, the last few weeks I am feeling like "man, my flexion is getting there :-) "… it takes time.

Leo Trinidad

Long term solution/approach is the fastest way :) I am speaking from experience. Mastering the early elements and refining them makes you progress faster without encountering any injuries. ;)

Andrey Kruglykhin

Thanks a lot!!!! Got you :))