This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training schedule options/opinions

Started by Kevin Sadler, April 14, 2017 · 7 Replies · 294 Views

Kevin Sadler

I have been training GB for a year or so on and off. I mostly do upper body Mon/Thurs. Core & HS Tue/Fri and Lower Body Wed/Sat.

I have been considering trying a different schedule.

Training each  of the 7 elements on a different day of the week.

 

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on this and whether you think it'll be enough stimulus, thoughts on the order to do each element and where I should fit HS.

 

TIA

Everett Carroll

Hi Kevin,

I suggest sticking to the follow along workouts. Training the Core, Upper Body, and Lower Body workouts as they are designed provides many benefits including: 

1. You get a better training stimulus by training multiple elements in a row during the Core and UB workouts. Training one element per day will not have the desired effect on your work capacity.

2. You want a rest day now and again, and training an element each day of the week won't provide that.

3. Scheduling becomes much simpler. 

 

I suggest training HS before your TB Stretch Series or after a Lower Body workout. 

Christopher Denzer

Hey Everett:

Along this topic: how do you feel about spreading a particular workout (Core, Upper Body, etc) throughout the day rather than in an hour-or-more block? My climbing gym has a community workspace where I can spend the entire day. This frankly beats the shit out of working out at 530 am at my crappy globo gym. 

Also, how big a priority is sleep for you? You're probably much younger than me and have better recovery, but I'm curious what your sleep looks like. 

Also also, once you have achieved mastery of a particular element, how much do you keep it in your repertoire? I found that my PPP capacity went to hell when i stopped doing it regularly. Any advice?

Kevin Sadler

Thank you Everett.

Everett Carroll

Hey Christopher,

You'll want to do each workout in full i.e. for your core workout, train FL, SL, and MN in the same session with as little rest as possible between transitions. 

Aim for at least 8 hours. I prefer more than that when my training gets really hard but I always recommend aiming for 8 as the bare minimum. More than that is not gonna hurt though. 

For maintenance, you can include one mastery rep set (or higher) into your upper body warm up. For example, to maintain adequate PPP strength post-mastery, perform one set of 10-20 reps as part of one of the warm up templates provided here: https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/f-warmup/. 

Jon Douglas

On maintenance, I either rotate the movement within the plane, usually arbitrarily depending on my mood (as in dips) or use the most complex variant within a plane (PPP for eg, or multi-plane elements)to cover more ground, get in more volume with disadvantaged leverage, and get my nervous system in the game :)

Christopher Denzer

Thanks for replies, fellas. As far  as a general pre-workout warmup do you guys do anything? 

Everett Carroll

Hey Christopher,

My warmup will sometimes also consist of some bouldering (I train in a bouldering gym) and light limbering, in addition to the Foundation warmup described in the article I linked to earlier.