This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Restarting with injuries

Started by Jonathan Whitfield, April 12, 2017 · 8 Replies · 129 Views

Jonathan Whitfield

Hey folks,

I've been a part of GB for a while now and have built up half way through F2 and H1. Its a fantastic course and has helped me immensely!

However last week I was cycling ( at least 30 mph mind you!) and managed to get thrown off and i've now broken my collarbone and screwed up my left shoulder and some soft tissue damage to the ribs. I'm a very active individual and the idea of been couped up for weeks is terrible! As such im beginning F1 again right from the start to help bring logically progressive strength and mobility training to help myself heal faster. 

Im not writing this post wanting to hear "go to a health care professional, go to a physio etc" I AM a physiologist and have had many dealings with physiotherapists and other professionals and every time im left with the opinion that they're abolsutely terrible with 'healthy standards' been exceptionally low such as lifting an arm to shoulder height been considered normal! Instead i'm choosing to use F1 and my own education to help rehab, this post is here so i can update it and show others how Foundation can improve ROM and joint health even when injured and hopefully add to the already impressive collection of stories and sucesses on GB!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jonathan, I'm sorry to hear about your injury, did you have a surgery or the arm locked in a fixed position? how is you range of motion now?

Luke Searra

Hello Jonathan,

I am also equally sorry to hear about your unfortunate injury. But, with all injuries like you said there are multiple ways to see the same situation. Personally, I have always seen injuries as opportunities top train in ways that never would have been possible without the injury, a chance for creativity. I would LOVE to see you use Foundations One to rehabilitate your shoulder in combination with your professional know-how, and begin rehabilitating it BEFORE your muscles have atrophied along with your ROM (range of motion), and keep us all updated as to how you heal, and your range of motion.

Paul Wallbridge

Hi Jonathan,

I'm in a similar situation being that I have an injury to my shoulder which is causing limited mobility as well as an old injury to my elbow which affects the other side.

my only caveat before I add my experience is have you had a scan/X-ray for deeper damage to differentiate between muscle, ligament and cartilage damage?

the reason I ask is that I have a physio that I'm working with who is also a gymnast and has much higher expectations on mobility. She has told me that the F1 program seems very sensible and is doing all the right things. however, until I get the results from my MRI I should refrain from doing anything like shoulder dislocates, as these could further damage the joint if there is a labral tear.

her words were, as long as it's not painful I can do it for now. But there will be a different focus for rehab and how hard I can push it depending on which injury I have.

Leo Trinidad

Hi Jonathan,

So sorry to hear about your injury. It is best to assess yourself first and know your limitations. Using your knowledge as a physiologist, you can gauge on what exercises/mobility drills you can do. We never train through pain and injury. You can still work on the elements which will not aggravate or affect your injury. We hope to see your journey towards 100%. Please keep us posted.

Suzanna McGee

@Jonathan Whitfield, wishing  you a speedy healing and full recovery. Please keep us posted what and how you do and think through this process. It's going to be very interesting (and educational) to follow. Heal fast!

Jonathan Whitfield

Quick update for you all who gave me well wishes (and thank you all!)

A week after that post i hilariously managed to trip over and rebreak the bloody thing worse than last time setting back the recovery times somewhat! 

So far i've taken elements such as the SLS in my stride but really hit home that the lower body IS still connected to the rest of me and that the concept of irradiation is alive and well. I've been perserving with the wall pushups and body rows but those elements are   obviously directly supported by a functioning collarbone so limited progress there. I am doing exercises similar to xiaopeng's with no weight to begin to regain the strength and mobility to lift my arm.  

The PE1 element of straddle planche is all im capable of too but i find its helping develop the area effected but obviously im taking a cautious approach as it still hits the collarbone. I am finding the isometrics easier than the dynamic stuff.

core workouts are fine and i already progressed far beyond F1 in that regard but i am hovering on engaging the arms in the hollowbody holds for now.

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Jonathan, let your body recover, do you have a restriction on upper body range of motion?

Jonathan Whitfield

OH don't worry im letting myself recover im not completely crazy! and i have restrictions on just about every angle on movement on the upper arm but thats to be expected from the dislocation and clavicle break. its funny been an acedemic as well as a practical man in my knowledge of the body and then clinically analysing my own issues!