This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stretch series against back pain

Started by Patriq Hansson, April 12, 2017 · 4 Replies · 101 Views

Patriq Hansson

Hello experts! 
I have a friend and collague who experience a lot of pain in her lower back, and have done so for about half a year or so. 
She especially feel it when sitting down, and it feels like pain in the muscles of the lower back. 

She has been to a few clinicians with her issues, but doesn't get a clear answer on what the problem may be. 

I do the stretch series myself, and in the TB-series coach Sommer says that a lot of lower back problems may come from a lack of mobility in this area.
Therefor I am thinking about recommending her to buy and try the TB-series specifically, but I don't want to recommend it if it could cause even more problems. For example, is it a good idea to stretch muscles that may be inflamed? 

Cheers

Pauline Taube

Hi Patriq,

Thanks for reaching out.

Firstly I would highly recommend to consult with a physio or other medical professional before she starts any of the courses. Making sure there are no major injuries or inflammation. 

For low back pain I usually recommend both the Front Split course and the Thoracic Bridge Series. Often lower back problems are caused by tight hamstrings, and it might help to address this. 

I would suggest working carefully through the progressions after consulting with a physio and stop immediately if experiencing any pain during the exercises. 

Let us know if you have any more questions :) 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Patriq, your friend needs to understand where it is the problem, without knowing something more specific about what it it the cause I cannot really help you.

It is like a very bad taste cake, you need to tell me the food you used to prepare it!

Patriq Hansson

Thank you both for your answers, and a lovely comparison there Alessandro, haha :D

She has now been to a physio today (I am not completely sure about the word in English, but a person educated in how to rehabilitate injured people). 
They concluded that the problem is not with her spine or bone structure, but likely in the muscles. She was given a few exercises to perform each day for one or two weeks. Cat-cow was one of the exercises, and a couple more. 

She used to be able to bend forward and reach the floor (pike) so her hamstrings has been pretty flexible. 
The issue might be more of a muscle imbalance in her torso perhaps. The problems started when you shifted from working outdoors to a more passive work where we are now (in a dispatch central), so a lot of sitting down may also be causing it. 

Anyway, thanks for your input. If you come up with anything else then feel free to share. I would love to help her, and either way I will recommend GST to her in the long run. 

Alessandro Mainente

Sitting down work it is the best decease for the posture.