This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Inward calf raise

Started by Étienne Lajeunesse, April 11, 2017 · 5 Replies · 117 Views

Étienne Lajeunesse

I don't think to fully understand the inward calf raise.  When I do it, I can't always keep my legs straight and my heels always shift inside a little bit when I raise.  I don't know if it's due to that, but until the end of the 60 reps, I never really feel something in my calves, as if they don't really work.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Etienne, try to mimic the course execution without compensation and if you do not feel any work , well they are a good warm up for you.

Étienne Lajeunesse

So, even if it's not perfect, that's fine?  Just to always try my best?

Pauline Taube

Hi Étienne,

Your form is important for the calf raises, most importantly the weight should be on the ball of your foot. Try your best to keep your heels turned outwards and don't let them drift in during the set. Your knees should be straight.

I think you will feel it in your calves focusing on this, feel free to submit a form check :) 

Jonas Berglund

One additional question here,, I think My form is decent on the calfraises,  doing 60/50/45((ish). However its Been the same reps for 5 months now.

I usually end set when My upper body starts "rocking or bouncing" unintentionally. Legs/feet form is still good at this point. Is this ok? Or should I keep doing calfraises until My legs lack form?

Would really appreciate some help on how i can improve these. 

Everett Carroll

Hi Jonas,

Since your legs and feet are holding form, this may just be a matter of focusing specifically on managing those compensation methods. My advice is to practice controlling the rocking and bouncing. Your body and subconscious mind can be tricky. They are always seeking to make things easier and, when training, we often have to fight these natural tendencies to get the desired result. Eventually, you will be able to rewire and eliminate those compensatory actions.

You may need to pause the workout for a second and reset your attention. That's okay. Aim to get each calf raise variation up to 60 reps. Since you have been working on the series for 5 months, I think you can achieve 60 for each with no problem if you focus hard on your form. Feel free to send in a video of the three sets after your next FS session.