This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand 'strength'

Started by Paul Wallbridge, April 10, 2017 · 6 Replies · 188 Views

Paul Wallbridge

I was wondering if there were any guides on what degree of strength is required to hold a steady handstand and which muscle groups were responsible.

clearly you need to be able to support your own body weight, but does being able to shoulder press, say, 110% of body weight help? I only do body weight exercises so this is theoretical only.

my shoulders are relatively strong, but I have always seemed to struggle with straight arm support positions (possibly due to right elbow weakness from injury and inability to lock arm). So, which muscle groups could I do some additional work on to help improve handstand strength.

its end of term for schools, so I've got a couple of weeks until adult gymnastics start up again and would like to make use of the extra training time in some way.

thanks for your input, as always!

Jeremy Huston

Yes, there is a matter of strength in handstand, but it is surprisingly little. If you're able to lock your elbows and stack your shoulders, your bones do most of the hard work. The strength you need is mostly in all the supporting muscles to control balance and maintain that ideal position. These are deltoids/traps (shoulder and scap positioning), triceps (elbow lockout), core (stable hollow position), and calves (pointed toes).

My 60 pound (25kg) 6-year-old daughter has plenty of strength to hold a handstand but can't do a single standard pushup. Of course, the more pressing strength you have, the better off you'll be.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Handstand it is a matter of mobility and correct segments disposition and nothing more, how I can say that? one of my client (a girl) can hold a handstand for 1 minute on the wall but cannot perform one single push up.

When segment are properly stacked the only problem it is the ability to relax and control the small movements with the fingers, for this reason handstand it is a problem of forearm endurance until you get the perfect alignment.

Paul Wallbridge
57 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Handstand it is a matter of mobility and correct segments disposition and nothing more, how I can say that? one of my client (a girl) can hold a handstand for 1 minute on the wall but cannot perform one single push up.

When segment are properly stacked the only problem it is the ability to relax and control the small movements with the fingers, for this reason handstand it is a problem of forearm endurance until you get the perfect alignment.

Part of my issue is due to a fractured elbow when young, I can only straighten my arm to about 15 degrees from locked. So in all support positions I have to rely on strength on that side to counteract the the imbalance. I can do a 30 second wall handstand fine but my right arm shakes - it's part of the reason I gave up gymnastics in my teens as it prevented me hitting many of the required positions.

Paul Wallbridge

@Alessandro Mainente I thought a photo might help highlight my issue:

 

IMG_0973.JPG

Alessandro Mainente

Damn,now it is clear, how are your IM's?

Paul Wallbridge

I'll post in the form check thread that has the same question. I'm doing F7 and H1 tonight so will take some videos and upload later