This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Just starting fundamentals need help

Started by Devon O'Neal, April 9, 2017 · 2 Replies · 88 Views

Devon O'Neal

Hello. I am just starting the fundamentals program. I have some self-taught experience in body weight training, but my mobility could use some work, so I decided to take a step back. I was able to learn a few of moves such as one arm pushup, muscle up on rings, and back lever, but since I have developed some stiffness and lack of mobility, I will not be training these types of movement until I am ready. I have been fairly active for my whole life and was wondering if I should still train some basic body weight strength movements such as pushup, pullup, dips, squats, and leg lifts to maintain a minimum level of strength while I focus on mobility? Your advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

Pauline Taube

Hi Devon,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the GymnasticBodies community!

Fundamentals is a great course to begin with in order to discover weaknesses and imbalances before moving on to the Foundation series. 

If your main focus is to improve your mobility I'd suggest to stick to the Fundamentals lessons and add the Stretch series to your schedule. These will really take your flexibility to another level, and address imbalances you may discover during the Fundamentals. After your daily lesson you may add a few strength elements if you feel good but I recommend to keep it simple to begin with.

There are no established sets and reps for Fundamentals. You are only required to do the follow along for a given day but are welcome to 'play' with some of the other movements you are having trouble with.

Click the links below to learn more about how the Fundamentals course works. 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/fundamentals/introduction/
 

:)

Devon O'Neal

Thank you!