This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training planning

Started by Étienne Lajeunesse, April 9, 2017 · 16 Replies · 265 Views

Étienne Lajeunesse

I was passing trough some GB articles and a planning part got my attention.  Well... it was just a sentence, but it was about planning everything in every training, from the first rep in the warm-up to the last exercise.  So, I was wondering, is there someone who plan its training step by step, and how?

Do you write in a workout log?  Do you build it before each session or a week or a month preceding it?  What are the details that make the planning effective?

I know that the GB interface let us make our schedule and that almost everything is already there to help us moving forward, but there still some many components that's not directly in there, that we have to create ourselves.

What are you thoughts about that?

Thank you!

Leo Trinidad

A lot of people have been doing this before and have not been following the GB Foundations that is why they Plateau fast. My thoughts on this one is that in order for you to be able to make your own workout log, you must at least be in Foundation Three and have mastered Foundation One and Foundation Two.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your answer!

Do you mean that people didn't follow the progressions of foundations?

What about the things that are actually not part of GB curriculum or things that are but changing them does not have a big impact on the courses?  By that, I mean Cardio, warm-up, cool-down and technical movements if there is?  How do you structure that following my initial questions?

Everett Carroll

Hi Etienne,

Great questions!

For warmup, I recommend the daily limber from Fundamentals followed by https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/f-warmup/

For cooldown, I suggest a Stretch Series. 

The diagnostic drills from T1 can also be a nice addition to your warmup. 

Your training of the technical skills is already pre-planned within your Handstand and Movement workouts. 

It may take some experimentation to find the weekly schedule that works best for your recovery but once you have found it, you'll have found your ideal structure.

Leo Trinidad

Hi Etienne,

I completely agree with Everett. You should follow his advice. Once you have reached Foundation Three then everything will come naturally but for the meantime, use Daily Limber as a warmup and Stretch Series(or progressions from the Stretch Series) for cooldown. Everything can be found in the courses so you don't have to worry about it.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Alright! When I do something I really like, I always try to learn and put into practice as much things as possible.  But, I have to admit it, I still have some work to do on those exercises in the warm-up/daily limber and stretch series for cooldowns.

So, I'll follow your advice!

Thanks guys :)

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi!

I have a question concerning warm-up again.  Can I do a set or 2 of every mobility exercise that I find pretty hard for warm-up?  Or is it better to always stick with the daily limber?

Pauline Taube

Hi Étienne,

I would stick with the daily limbering routine and then add some mobility exercises you are having trouble with :) 

Michael Vetter
On 4/11/2017 at 6:11 PM, Everett Carroll said:

For cooldown, I suggest a Stretch Series. 

A complete series?

 

Whats T1? :)

Everett Carroll

Hi Michael,

Yes, for three of your workouts. For the others, you can do some lighter limbering.

T1 stands for Tumbling One, which is your Movement workout.  

Michael Vetter
8 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Yes, for three of your workouts. For the others, you can do some lighter limbering.

I thought that each stretch series should only be done once per week?

 

10 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

T1 stands for Tumbling One, which is your Movement workout.  

Alright, didnt get that one yet.

Everett Carroll

Hi Michael,

Yes, that is correct. My suggestion is just one way of arranging your weekly workouts. You still would not want to perform them more than once each per week. 

Étienne Lajeunesse

And, as I understood, you take the hardest stretches or mobilities (no more than one per body part) and you use them as limbering for the other days, is that right?

Pauline Taube

Yes Étienne, make sure you perform the stretches with less intensity on these days if feeling sore :) 

Étienne Lajeunesse
4 hours ago, Pauline Taube said:

Yes Étienne, make sure you perform the stretches with less intensity on these days if feeling sore :) 

So, in this case, is there a recommended numbers of reps or maximum time to hold for those limbering exercises?

Pauline Taube

You can do the same amount of time or reps, but don't push as hard into the Stretch as you would do when you do the series :) 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Ok! Thanks :)