Hi,
Is it normal to have some bruising on the inside of the bicep with russian dips?
I have seen some people go back onto the elbows, but the video shows to land on the upper arms.
Thx
B
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Benjamin Whyte, April 8, 2017 · 5 Replies · 223 Views
Hi,
Is it normal to have some bruising on the inside of the bicep with russian dips?
I have seen some people go back onto the elbows, but the video shows to land on the upper arms.
Thx
B
Yes, it is normal at first; and yes moving to an upper arm support is correct.
This can be mitigated by wearing sweat bands or such in the beginning. It does not take too long toadjust, although it can look quite dramatic in the beginning
My opinion: if you're bruising the inside of your upper arms, you are landing too heavily. And if you sink too far between your shoulders (in other words, if your shoulders end up at the same level as your elbows), you won't have enough leverage to pull yourself forward and up.
It's a curious exercise, and I've been stuck on it for months. Having had both shoulders surgically stabilised, I have to be pretty careful about how I impact the bar.
@Jon Douglas are you in Canberra now?
5 hours ago, Nicholas Murray said:My opinion: if you're bruising the inside of your upper arms, you are landing too heavily. And if you sink too far between your shoulders (in other words, if your shoulders end up at the same level as your elbows), you won't have enough leverage to pull yourself forward and up.
It's a curious exercise, and I've been stuck on it for months. Having had both shoulders surgically stabilised, I have to be pretty careful about how I impact the bar.
@Jon Douglas are you in Canberra now?
From Alessandro's feedback to me I've learnt that you should land with depressed scapula and not sink the shoulders to elbow level. In my experience a bounce off the shoulders with elevated scapula at the bottom can actually help getting up but can be bad for the shoulders so should be avoided.
Obviously you should be extremely careful with multiple shoulder surgeries
my experience has been that the pressure of upper arm support, even without descending particularly hard, can make for some spectacular bruising. This is temporary and will pass.
Certainly you should not be jolting down or anything like that.
And yes, in Canberra now as of a week ago ![]()
On 4/8/2017 at 3:10 AM, Jon Douglas said:Yes, it is normal at first; and yes moving to an upper arm support is correct.
This can be mitigated by wearing sweat bands or such in the beginning. It does not take too long toadjust, although it can look quite dramatic in the beginning
![]()
Thanks
It looks alot worse than it feels and I only noticed it looking in the mirror the next day!
All good and glad its normal, exercise coming along well.
B