This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Time allocation and prudent scheduling

Started by Roman Rytov, April 6, 2017 · 5 Replies · 205 Views

Roman Rytov

Started two weeks ago with the fundamentals and doing it just as a morning 30 routine along with basic warmups and kettlebell. Eager to get to the Foundation in a few weeks and considering diving into the Stretching right away. In addition I do once or twice a week minimal weightlifting (trying to push my 18% bodyfat down)  - nothing crazy - about 40 mins. Also do some cardio 3-4 times a week: mountain biking, racquetball.

 

My question is how to prudently fit it all together and schedule it right? Time is a secondary factor. I may have some days when I have two activities: morning - GST and racquetball at the evening. I'm not familiar with intensity of the Stretching series or the Foundation. Can the former be considered a rest day? What are your thoughts? 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Roman, the best solution it is to begin with the minimum (and it is my best professional suggestion), so begin with the basic foundations schedule suggested by Coach Sommer on the course page, then add the stretch series you want once a week, do weight lifting once a week and cardio 1-2 times a week. then if you can handle this volume you need to consider your priorities:

-if it is GST insert another upper day

-stretch series must be held once a week

-if priority it is weightlifting insert another session of it

-same concept for cardio.

 

Roman Rytov

Tried the stretching course today (front split) and absolutely loved it! The coach mentioned that it makes no sense to do it more than once a week. Should I do other stretching series in other days of the week? If not and stick to the once-a-week approach do I rotate the series weekly? If not when should they be rotated?

Darin Phoenix

Hi Roman, 

Unless you have changed it your dashboard should contain Coach Sommer's recommended schedule for the week. Each of the three stretch courses is performed once per week. There is no need to rotate them. 

Roman Rytov

Found! didn't see it before and also have read the introduction materials. I tried the core today - was very easy and took less than 15 mins. Although I'm new to GST and did face a few challenges with the Fundamentals course I'm overall pretty fit and in a good shape overall. I'm thinking to change the schedule to be at least a bit more time consuming, especially when there are no stretching courses together with the strength ones. 

I understand that each stretching should not be performed more than once a week. What about the strength courses? Is it a good idea to combine a couple together (core/lower, for instance)? 

Pauline Taube

Hi Roman,

The Foundation workout will get harder and longer as the sets and reps increases as you advance. 

I would continue to do the daily limbering routine from Fundamentals, this is also a great warmup before your workouts. As Alessandro suggested you may add another day of upper body strength a week. It's perfectly fine to combine the Core and Lower Body workout together :)