This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Beginning thoracic bridge - arm strength limitation

Started by Mark Koch, April 6, 2017 · 4 Replies · 189 Views

Mark Koch

HI, Doing Foundation one and stretch series.   I'm age 58 fairly active with a moderate strength training background.  My problem occurs when attempting  the thoracic bridge with feet elevated near the end of that series, I don't have the strength or mobility to raise up on my arms at all.  If I put my feet on the floor, I can raise up a few inches.  Yet if I do this with feet too low, I understand it will put stress on my back.

So would like help understanding how I should progress in building that arm strength to begin to raise up on to my arms in the bridge position.  I'm not sure that the once a week attempt is enough muscle stimulus, so should I attempt some type of intermediate move several times a week.?

Love the program and continue to be very impressed by the quality of instruction.

Thanks

Mark

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Mark you case it is very common, simply the tension and tissue adhesion it is so big that your muscles are not enough strong to win against this tension. have you tried to scale down the hard movement?

Mark Koch

HI Allesandro.   

Thank you for the response.   Regarding scaling down the movement, what are some things I can try.  Would I start trying to bridge from the floor a few times a week until I build up the strength to do it with feet elevated?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Mark thanks for the update, well I prefer the contrary. when you have to press from the floor bridge you need less strength but more mobility, when you try to push up with feet elevated you need less mobility but more strength. now since we do not want to push over the mobility if there are restrictions it is preferable to kick to the handstand position and wall down on the stall bar so that you can reach the elevated bridge, then reach the floor by bending the elbows slowly so that you can build up additional strength.

Mark Koch

HI Allessandro.   Thank you very much for this suggestion.  I will try this handstand technique a few times a week and hope to build up my arm and shoulder strength.