This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Scapular Shrugs PE1

Started by Katherine Zodiaco, April 5, 2017 · 1 Replies · 154 Views

Katherine Zodiaco

Hi, 

I've been struggling with scap shrugs since October. :o I've moved past embarrassed and am currently fascinated. No, I don't have a form check to offer because I pushed thru some discomfort & now can't lift my left arm.  

Here are my issues - my abs! Ho-Ly cow. I'm doing all the GST programs and I train my midline at least 4x a week. I can't believe how this exercise destroys my abs and they don't seem to ever get any stronger in this position. Is this normal? I can complete 1 set of 12. Set 2 by rep 8 my abs are screaming and I've stopped by set 3 rep 5. When I push through (ignore/override) the ab pain, my form collapses and  I end up with an injury in the shoulder area. 

This exact thing also happens when I do the shoulder extension walks in the thoracic stretch series. OMG my abs! And the crazy pain begins as early as walk 2! Each week the same thing. Which, of course, has me asking; am I impervious to strengthening my abdominals in this position? The other thing I wonder is...am I putting too much stress on my abs? Perhaps some compensation in my body has me relying on my abdominals when I should be relying on different muscles. I will submit a form check for this exercise once my shoulder is functioning again.

Back to scap shrugs - my upper back/neck area is my problem area. I hold tension there. I'm wondering and hoping that my struggle with this exercise is healing my problems. I'm hoping the reason I can't get past 3-4 sets of 12 is my body needs time to heal and strengthen. But how is it possible to not make progress in both the scaps and abs? 

I'd love you hear your thoughts,

Kathy

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Katherine Zodiaco,

Discomfort is completely normal. Ab cramping is nothing to worry about. You don't need to send multiple sets for form check (a few reps would do). I also feel ab cramping in the Supine Shoulder Extension Walk. (it is part of the compression) Remember that the better your form becomes, the harder the exercise will be. ;) We will wait for your video for form check. Please also let us know your training schedule along with your other activities/training.