This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Some questions regarding stretching

Started by James Cho, April 5, 2017 · 5 Replies · 146 Views

James Cho

Just got off with 3 stretching series and found out I have a long long way to go in terms of mobility. I'm aware that I'm like a mobility-retard and must work hard on stretching but the question is, how much pain should I endure for each session? If I'm doing say floating pancake for instance, should I squeeze my upper body super hard towards the ground for 60s? Because that should be agonizing for a zombie like me. Or is it good enough to advance just little by little? 

Also, I'm having trouble with anterior pelvic tilt shown in the video. Sitting up tall with my legs straight in an L-shape itself is pretty tough for me. So I have to rely on core strength to keep my upper body from tilting backwards. This becomes worse with my legs spread wide(less than 90 degrees though) So if I'm to do any pancake movement, I really have to squeeze my abs to tilt my pelvis forward without curling my upper back. And with all the pancake moves, my abs get burned out and I eventually fail to keep up sitting straight. Can you give me some tips on this? I referred to the scale version and put a block under my pelvis and it became a little bit comfortable. Should I just keep trying from this point?   

Alessandro Mainente

Hi James the personal knowledge of our body it is something that cannot be coached, usually i tend to say to work at the edge of the discomfort but before the pain, you should be able to breathe deeply without making short and frequent  little breaths. 

Evey single movement where you cannot perform the video execution usually has a scaled version. In order to see it go in the main page fo the course then click to FITNESS>COURSE LIBRARY> SELECT THE COURSE WHERE YOU NEED THE SCALED VERSION> THEN CLICK ON THE SECOND ICONA TO THE RIGHT.

Antonio Alías Montoya

You can t be suffering James. You should go as far as you can but: maintaining for the whole time free pain, breathing deeply and being relaxed all the time. Relax your mind and your muscle into the strecht while breathing. I always start by stretching a bit and slowly increase the range as my muscle start to relax. With time you ll realize you can go deeper while been relaxed at the same time.

James Cho

I'll try. Thank you for your answers :)

Jessica Webber
On 4/5/2017 at 9:20 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi James the personal knowledge of our body it is something that cannot be coached, usually i tend to say to work at the edge of the discomfort but before the pain, you should be able to breathe deeply without making short and frequent  little breaths. 

If I may dig a little deeper on breathing, I cannot breath deeply when doing the side stretch with the shoulder inside.  Similarly I get the same shortness of breath doing seal stretch in the TB series.  In both cases the area I'm feeling the stretch is mostly on my too-tight abs and I think that's what's restricting my breathing.  So I should ease off both of these until I can breath easy?

Thanks

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jessica, this problem reflects your deep problem on the diaphragm, please reduce the range of movements until you can breathe. there is no relaxation on apnea.