This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Should I be doing Foundation 2?

Started by Alli Shelton, April 4, 2017 · 5 Replies · 285 Views

Alli Shelton

So I just bought Foundation 1, went through the course library and did some tests, but I think I may get some money back and return it for Foundation 2? I'm not sure which suits me better, some advice would be appreciated on the issues I've found, hear me out: 

I can easily do MN/PE4 with strict form, but find Jefferson curls extremely difficult; which is paired with an easier exercise (too easy).      

I can already do negative FLs from inverted hang with strict form and do straddle FLs with moderately good form. Should I be doing F2 FL progressions or is it worth me continuing to focus primarily on hollow body positions as in F1?  

I can do sPL/PE6 quite comfortably and the accompanying Mobility moderately well. But I can already tuck planche and hold the support -     position on rings with strict form for 30 secs. I don't find any of the pressing in F1 particularly challenging. 

I can already do single leg squats no problem (knee down), and am doing pistol squats moderately. All the single leg progressions in F1 are too easy, as are the mobility aspects (for me) 

I can already do 10 xr dips with strict form quite comfortably and a good negative muscle up (been doing them for years). 

And I can almost do a one arm chin up and can hold RC/PE6 for about 24 seconds one/each arm and 1 min with both.  

In addition I can hold a good L sit for 15 seconds and can Straddle back lever for 5 second (rubbish time but good form), but these don't seem to appear in F1 at all.

So, clearly there are aspects of the F1 that I find challenging (see above), but also aspects I find far too easy. I'm a real mixed bag of tricks, thanks to imbalanced training (I'm sorry, but I'm here to correct that) and physically very specific sports (free-running & climbing, 8 years/6 years). My mobility is crap, but my strength means that if I do the progressions for which the mobility is perfect for me, the exercise is too easy. And some exercises are just right, but accompanied with mobility that's out of my league for now, while other exercises don't even  challenge me at all on F1 standards. ANY SUGESSTIONS!? My brain hurts :-p 

Many thanks for your time :-)

Alessandro Mainente

HI Alli, the solution it is quite simple. if these exercises are simple to you simply perform the mastery of a PE and the corresponding IM for all the PE's, then if they are good you can show the following one and so on.

Every single exercise with the paired mobility it is a step to build up bases, what does it mean bases? that you can train straight arms ring strength exercises more often than normal people.

When I began GST I was approximately like you (exception for one arm chin up), then I decide to mastery basic strength, i recognized due to injuries that I was overconsidering my capacities. now i can train safety crosses and more 3 times week. something that it is not doable for the vast majority of people. 

The bad tendency it is to see only the difficulty of the exercises proposed but nobody looks behind, the first milestone step of the science of training it is "build up the work capacity" foundations 1-2-3-4 reflects exactly that. do you think you have it? show me the mastery. I cannot suggest another course if I do not have any idea of your level and, of course, I judge only what I can see.

Alli Shelton

Thank you, Alessandro.

So if I've understood correctly; I should work my way through the mobility exercises starting from the lower, less advanced PE's and building up, whilst doing the higher, more advanced PE if necessary?

Thanks :-)

Greg White

I'd start at the most basic exercises and submit form checks. A lot of the exercises feel passable until you get it analysed by the coaches. Push Ups is a classic case.  Everyone thinks they are above HBP/ PE1 and PE2, until submitting a form check and find out they cant hold PPT, they pike too much, and they cant protract. Yours may be perfect but I'd submit some form checks. The coaches have a trained eye for what is considered mastery on F1, new students tend not to.

Also bear in mind that some of the earlier progressions are harder than the progressions that follow for a lot of people. Being able to perform a mastery level PE5 doesnt mean you can do the PE2. 

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Alli Shelton said:

Thank you, Alessandro.

So if I've understood correctly; I should work my way through the mobility exercises starting from the lower, less advanced PE's and building up, whilst doing the higher, more advanced PE if necessary?

Thanks :-)

 

Begin from PE1 and IM1 master them and show me a video. if it is ok on form and tempo and the Im it is enough for range of motion you can pass to PE2 and IM2 and so on showing the mastery.

Andy Desak 36466
On 4/4/2017 at 9:23 AM, Greg White said:

 

Also bear in mind that some of the earlier progressions are harder than the progressions that follow for a lot of people. Being able to perform a mastery level PE5 doesnt mean you can do the PE2. 

I second the hell out of that comment!