This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS PE1>iM

Started by Iain McLean, April 3, 2017 · 8 Replies · 127 Views

Iain McLean

Here is my current stage in this element viewed from the front and the side.  My questions are:

1) What needs improvement?

2) There is an obvious asymmetry when watching from the front view.  To fix this, should I just continue working this element along with the TB series and the difference in ROM should eventually even out?

3) I have been gradually narrowing the grip as ROM improves.  Once I hit shoulder width I will increase the weight and repeat the process of narrowing the grip.  Is this the right approach?

Front:

Side:

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Iain,

Having an imbalance in mobility is not uncommon. You will most likely experience this on other mobility exercises as well. You should always work according to your weaker side. Even though you are able to open one shoulder further than the other, only open it as much as your tighter shoulder is able to open.

I recommend dropping weight. Doing so will help to speed up the process of balancing out the shoulders. First, focus on opening both shoulders to 180 degrees. Once you are able to do that, work on bringing the hands in to shoulder width. Then, worry about weight.

Iain McLean

Perfect, thanks Jeffrey.

Iain McLean

Here is an update on this mobility element.  I have been working it with no weight and gradually narrowing my grip.  How does it look?  Should I narrow my grip further before adding weight?

Rear view: 

 

Side view: 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Lain, nice lean, try always to check that the wood bar it is parallel to the horizontal edge of the mirror!

Iain McLean

Thanks for the tip @Alessandro Mainente.  Is my grip considered shoulder width and narrow enough to proceed to add weight?  Or should I keep narrowing my grip until my arms are perfectly parallel before I add weight?

 

Alessandro Mainente

yes, begin immediately with 1 kg. sometimes your arms are parallel so simply try to be accurate all the time!

Iain McLean

i have returned to handstand workouts.  Here is two videos from my attempt at mastery on the PE1 mobility element.  Does it look good enough to move on?

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Nice work, Iain! I suggest spending 1-2 more weeks on this one before moving on to lock in your form. This will also give your body a chance to become more accustomed to this position. Keep up the great work!