This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Passing Mobility and Defining Mastery

Started by Stephanie Hedger, April 3, 2017 · 1 Replies · 112 Views

Stephanie Hedger

Ok so I've been at this for a month now and I'm looking to nail down some of them finer points. 

I'm wondering how I know if I'm passing mobility. Some exercises the mobility exercises are a cake walk (full ROM and plenty strength at EOR eg. cat-cow). Some exercises are complete failures (clicking, grinding and other horrible stuff eg. stiff leg windmills). Most are in-between. If I can do a movement with less range of motion than the videos demonstrate but with full strength is that a pass or a failure? 

Also if step 9 of an exercise is hard but I can do it does that mean I still need to master the exercise or am I better off moving onto the next progression?  

Thanks

Steph

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Stephanie,

Great questions. As you go through your training, you will find that some exercises and movements come more naturally than others. It is always a good idea to spend some extra time on mobility elements that are harder for you. ROM is essential to mastering all mobility elements. If you cannot reach full ROM, you have not mastered that progression.

On your PEs, it is okay if mastery level is difficult to complete, however, you should not be dying when trying to complete the last set. If you are able to make it through all sets and reps required at mastery level with proper form, you are ready to move on.