This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Double Mastery?

Started by Dylan Kampman, April 2, 2017 · 6 Replies · 185 Views

Dylan Kampman

Not a question, more discussion really. I've been doing a mini mastery per step. If I can do double(or more) the first step and finish the following sets at mastery reps I conclude that I'm ready to progress. Example: 4x3r Pullups I'd do 6r then 3r then 3r. Sometimes, I'd be able to do all reps in one set, no problem (20r lunges are a good example). Another example is HBR(or FL series), I'm currently at 4x24r. I can almost the do 48r no problem for the first set and the rest would be 24r and 24r(or a bit more). Anyway, I haven't progressed to 4x36r yet because I'm intentionally holding back. I'd like to add that this method has been very helpful on when to apply the brakes(hurry up and wait) and the gas. I'm wondering if anyone has had results doing something similar.

 

(Of course, I also do double mobility as well) 

Jon Douglas

I was with you up until double mobility ;)

While of course not bad in itself this is doubling the intended time between strength sets. Better off with regular length sets for im's.

Other than that it's not a bad idea to get some extra volume, although I do wonder how some F3 and 4 elements will go

Dylan Kampman

Sweet, good call on the double mobility lengthing rest time. I don't know why I didn't realize that. I'll just move to the double mobility till after the final strength set. As far as F3 and F4 examples go, it's still been working great so far. I did the same with pistols and I'm currently doing 75% BW Lunges 4x2(2)r and I started the HSPU section of HBP series. I can pretty much do all total reps in one set if I wanted to (and sometimes I do). If your wondering why I don't progress faster or jump steps (almost like the too easy button for F1 stuff), why would I? I'm in no rush, progress is steady, I feel great after every workout and most of all it's fun. Thanks again for the advice. Always appreciated.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Dylan Kampman,

I am glad that you are having benefits on what you are doing but tweaking the designed program will change everything. Coach designed the programming for a reason. My suggestion is that follow the program then when you master and/or fail a PE and decide to go back to it then you can try and do what you want with it. :)

Dylan Kampman

I understand your position and appreciate your input. However, I would like to know how performing more reps then mastery while maintaining tempo / pace with mobility will 'change everything'?

Alessandro Mainente

Sorry Dylan I cannot understand your question.

Antonio Alías Montoya

I think he means simply increase mastery standarts for a progression. Instead of doing 5x15, doing 5x20. Instead of 5x60 seconds, 5x90 seconds for example. I m not a coach, but if it is a previous well progressed exercise I think it s approved and beneficial from what I ve read in this forum, but not sure if this apply only to Foundation 1. F1 is more out of risk if you do more. Anyway, wait for coaches answer.